...do Dipped Cake Bites (Or Balls)?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 4:12pm by scp1127

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 17

I have someone who wants what sounds like cake balls, dipped in chocolate, and then on a stick, like a "lollipop" basically.

Anyone done this? How, and how'd they turn out?

I haven't done cake balls, so I'm thinking that's what I'd have to do to get them round rather than a mini cc shape.

She found them on evite.com under bridal showers, they're called brownie bites.

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 17

I'd estimate that a few gazillion people have made these. They're done all the time.

Chef_Stef Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 17

I know that..................

guess I'll just play with it myself and find out. I have like 800 mini cupcakes to do that week anyway.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 17

I have made cake pops a few times. You can find usefull information at www.bakerella.com icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks for the link! I must say: I'm amazed~

Heard of the whole cake ball idea here but never looked into them.

But cake pops? And a BOOK about cake pops?? What rock have I been living under? lol

hilarious

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 17

A pretty large rock icon_biggrin.gif By the way, I find it much easier to do them on lollipop sticks than just as cake balls, you get a nicer finish on the chocolate since you are holding the stick to dip them, and not messing around with spoons, forks or toothpicks. Never made them out of brownies though but I imagine the process is similar.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:26am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

A pretty large rock icon_biggrin.gif By the way, I find it much easier to do them on lollipop sticks than just as cake balls, you get a nicer finish on the chocolate since you are holding the stick to dip them, and not messing around with spoons, forks or toothpicks. Never made them out of brownies though but I imagine the process is similar.

Easy peasy!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #8 of 17

I have to say that I find the "recipe" that Bakerella uses to be slimy and gag-inducing. I believe the "formula" is 1 can of icing to 1 cake mix, but when I almost threw up, I added twice as much cake, and it was much more "palatable." I have read that some people don't use anything at all, just mash it together and dip. Maybe you could make a cake and fix it up several different ways and let the bride pick her preference?

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:24am
post #9 of 17

Oh, I have mixed it with filling and that is good.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:31am
post #10 of 17

For brownie bites, I don't mix in anything. We made dozens of them before Christmas, and they were very well received. I use the Pillsbury or Duncan Hines brownie mix and then add mini-chocolate chips to the batter before baking. Also delicious if you add various extracts to the batter: orange, peppermint, and raspberry are quite good.

Chef_Stef Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 17

I was just going to use a bit of imbc (just enough to hold it together), but I haven't played with them yet.

And of course...the perennial question of...what do you charge for cake pops? Dipped and decorated with a monogram?

I do basic mini cc's for $1 but these (pops) seem like I don't want to branch too much into them. "Time-consuming" and "small" are not my favorite two adjectives. icon_confused.gif

and, how in the world do you package them for transport?

ah...yes. It was a big rock. lol

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 17

I charge $1-$1.50 each. They don't take too long. Have all the balls rolled and in the 'fridge then freeze for an hour before dipping. Have a big block of styrofoam to stick the dipped cake balls into to setup. They are top heavy so make sure you distribute them evenly or the block will tip over. Then transport them in that. Again just remember they are top heavy. You can see some of my pics on here of ones I've done. Have fun!

Dommers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dommers Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 17

I am a super fan of cake pops, but I agree I do not like the frosting cake mix. I use cream cheese and cake, so much better and not as sweet. I also use sticks to make them pops instead of 'truffles' Way easier and cleaner.

Chef_Stef Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks again, you guys! I charged her $1.50, so I will see how it goes. I don't see it becoming my Next Big Thing...but then a year ago I didn't like cupcakes either, and here I am, selling those every day too. icon_wink.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Stef

Thanks again, you guys! I charged her $1.50, so I will see how it goes. I don't see it becoming my Next Big Thing...but then a year ago I didn't like cupcakes either, and here I am, selling those every day too. icon_wink.gif

What kind of a recipe did you decide to go with? Icing, filling, creamer, cream cheese? Just curious... icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm
post #16 of 17

Haven't had time to play with them yet but will probably do icing.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 17

Another book is coming out soon. It's Pop Bakery by Clare O'Donnell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%