A Bride With A Million Questions!

Decorating By SugarHighCakes Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 6:49pm by au_decorator_76

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 12

Question....I just got an email from a bride who no doubt has read one too many bridal magazines. Here is what she asked me:

1. Do you offer free consultation?
2. When would I be able to taste the various kinds of cakes and fillings?
3. Can you supply refrences?
4. Will you do a custom wedding cake or are there a set # of designs for us to choose from?
5. How adaptable are wedding cake designs especially due to budget?
6. Do you have or can we rent cake toppers, cutters etc.? Will we be billed extra?
7. Do you have a portfolio of previous wedding cakes you've made that we can look at?
8. What ingredients to you typically use? What kind of icing?
9. How long before our wedding are the cakes prepared? How long does it take to make a cake?
10. Are the wedding cakes priced by slice? Is there an extra cost for special fillings and details? Will you charge extra for my design (if complicated)? Is there a price list I could see?
11. Can you give me a written proposal I can take home?
12. Do you deliver? How much does delivery cost? Will the delivery person be able to make emergency repairs and arrange the table?
13. How long have you been making cakes?

Thank you so much for your time, hope to hear from you soon!! Please include any information you feel would be helpful to us.

I go over ALL of this in my consultations. I charge $25 for the consultation that generally lasts about an hour, and if they book with me, I apply the tasting to the balance.

How do I answer all of this....I wont have anything to go over with them in the tasting! LOL

11 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHighCakes

I go over ALL of this in my consultations. I charge $25 for the consultation that generally lasts about an hour, and if they book with me, I apply the tasting to the balance.

How do I answer all of this....I wont have anything to go over with them in the tasting! LOL

I think you've got your answer right there--A short sweet email stating that consultations are $25, include tastings, last about an hour and give you and the bridal couple a chance to review designs, budgets, options, referals, etc. No need to answer every question in the email.

Kristy

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 12

I don't think these are unreasonable questions at all. These are all questions most brides ask, especially budget conscious brides. I commend her for doing her homework and making sure she has everything in order. Not everyone knows the cake business like we do. I have no clue about ordering a bridal gown so I will have plenty of questions when the time comes.

I think the above poster's response will work great and also help ease the bride's nerves about this portion of the wedding planning.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 12

I would write back and say something like, My base price per serving starts at XX so you should be able to figure out the general base price of your cake based on the number of guests you are anticipating to have at your reception. If these numbers seem like they will fit into your budget, we can sit down for a tasting and consultation where most of your other questions will be answered. The tasting is $25 and consists of you tasting and blah blah blah.

Sometimes when I get emails like this, I reply to the whole thing if I'm in the mood.

1. no, they are $25, but will be applied to your cake should you book with me.
2. at your tasting and consultation, I have 11:30 next saturday available, will that work for you?
3. every reference I supply you will give me a glowing review as I would not have you call some who may been dissatisfied. But, you can call these venues in which I have delivered quite a few cakes...

icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 12

Meh . . .she copied that list from the interwebs. Not nearly as clever as she thinks she is.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 12

I noticed you do not have a Frequently Asked Questions or Testimonial page on your web site. I have them and usually suggest the bride look at these pages and then get back to me with any other questions that they may have.
The FAQ page saves a lot of unecessary questions being asked.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 12

I am working on my soon to be turned on website and I do have a FAQ section that will answer most of these questions. I see a few that could be added.
But I would just email back with your brief explanation and not have to spend the time typing out all your answers.

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for all the suggestions! I love the FAQ idea for on my website so I can direct brides that way. I have no idea why I didnt think of that! (I guess I haven't given much though to it considering Im going to be doing a complete website over-haul in the near future...)

It will save a ton of time considering I have to answer the same questions over and over and over and I just dont have time to keep answering each individual questions like I do.

Usually its not an issue - because they ask all the questions during my consultation, but I was just kinda thrown off when I had a magazine thrown at me lol

Thanks for all the advice, I knew I could count on you all icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 12

Definitely looks like a cut and paste from a bride mag, lol.

I always just direct people to my website. EVERYthing they ask is pretty much answered there; then they can browse to their heart's content, and that way, when we meet, I know they're serious about having me do their cake.

Without a website...I'd just answer each question in order, as friendly as briefly as possible.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 12

At least these cut-n-paste question are not ridiculous, like the bride who asked "do you cue the band?"

Cue the band? Who do I look like, Ricky Ricardo??? icon_eek.gif

Again, these are good questions, My website pretty much had the answer to all of these questions right on my website AND in the intro packet that I sent to initial inquiries.

Write it once ... email it often!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 12

Cue the band?? icon_surprised.gif

I've been asked if I cut the cake, but that...is hilarious! Seriously?

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 12

I think the questions are very reasonable and I think you should respond just as Kristy says. icon_smile.gif If it were me I'd be very happy with that response and would book a consultation. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%