Coloured Cake Without The Brown Edges? How?

Baking By lomfise Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 7:50pm by lomfise

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, in the last few days I've been trying to make stawberry cake, but I can't seem to avoid it getting brown around the edges and on the top when I bake it. Not "burned" brown, but the kind of brown other kinds of cakes become. birthday.gif

So I was wondering if anyone has a trick that will keep the cake red throughout? I'm thinking that those who make white cake that is actually white all over might have an idea.

I know I can just cut of the top and edges, but I don't think it looks all that pretty when doing this. Yesterday I tried wrapping the cake tin in foil while baking, also on top, and that did keep the cake from browning, but it also prevented it from baking through. The cake was pasty in the middle even after it had baked for an hour.

I hope someone can help, because sometime in the near future I'd like to try making a rainbow cake, and I don't think it will look very delicate with brown edges icon_sad.gif TIA

4 replies
Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried baking the cake at 325 degrees and using one or more flower nails in the center of the pan? I think you will probably always get a small amount of slightly browned areas but this should help. I've always been satisfied with my results using this method.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 5

ahh thats a tough one i usually line the sides of the cake tin with baking paper. it only makes it less brown but i dont know about the top i think, how about baking it in a lower tempreture for a longer time? but take the cake out befor its gets bron from the top.. that is wat i do with my cupcakes. i dont like them brown on the top..
ohh and another thing.. i think the recipie of the cake itself has something to do with it.. medira cake gets browner than a pound cake..
well thats all i have i hope it helped

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 5

Bake Even strips! You will love them on all of your cakes. For the top, lightly place a piece of foil on top... just lay it there, toward the end of the bake time when you see it turning darker.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 5

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, you've given me something to think about and lots of ideas I will have to try.

I think my first attempt will be with foil around the sides of the tin (I haven't got bake even stripes) and then covering the tin when the cake starts to brown.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%