Help! How Do I Match The Frills On This Cake?

Decorating By PinkIcinig Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 2:58am by PinkIcinig

PinkIcinig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkIcinig Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 8

A bride brought me this photo and want me to copy it with subtle changes like color. BUt I'm undecided as to how to achieve the frills. Ive never seen a cake like this before. [/img]

7 replies
PinkIcinig Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 8

How do I attatch a photo. I'm attatching a file name and hitting "add attatchment but it doesnt look lik its coming up

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 8

Do you have a link to the photo? You could just post the link.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Do you have a link to the photo? You could just post the link.

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

But please don't add it to your photo gallery.

Just because the attachment feature to a post isn't currently available doesn't change the photo gallery posting guidelines.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:20am
post #6 of 8

check out this thread, it has a lot of links on how to do the ruffles http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-707336-marina.html+sousa

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #7 of 8

That cake is stunning, and the ruffles look like satin, though, after reading further I know they are fondant. Thanks aligotmatt, I went back to the pages you posted, which took me back to this page..... http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-45216-0-days0-orderasc-.html&sid=1f2fd95e06922b6f9f7b6c5acd57104e where it says the cake was done by Marina Sousa and she gave her instructions on how she did it, which are further down the page, or right here"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just heard back from Marina Sousa. The cake is covered in blue fondant, the ruffles are the same color fondant. Ruffles are just rectangular sections ruffled by hand and attached with sugar glue to the cake, wads of cotton balls are placed under the ruffles to hold them in place until the glue has dried. The sugar glue is just equal parts of granulated sugar and water, boiled and then cooled. She says to use generous amounts of powdered sugar on the ruffles so the cotton balls don't stick to the fondant. After they are dry you remove the cotton balls very carefully. Use a soft bristled brush to brush away the excess powdered sugar from the ruffles. Then mix a combination of blue petal dust ( as close as possible to the same shade as fondant or a bit darker)and super pearl luster dust, thin with vodka or Everclear and spray onto cake and ruffles with an airbrush."

PinkIcinig Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:58am
post #8 of 8

Thank you soo much!!!!! Now I just have to figure out how much to charge her :S

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%