Full Moon Help

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 5:40pm by lapazlady

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 5

How do I create a cake that looks like a full moon? I have the ball mold to create the round, but am worried about the "craters" and such. Any and all help welcome. (This is to be a small cake I'm thinking the 1/2 round ball mold on a 8" layer.)

4 replies
lapazlady Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 5

Pretty please....

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 5

So this will basically be half of a sphere flat on a cake board? Are you covering in fondant or BC or...? I just Googled "moon surface image" and found some neat photos that might help you design a crater-filled surface, especially if you're using fondant. You can put details under the fondant and "rub" them into the surface design along with actual holes in the cake for some of the craters. Or do you want the man-in-the-moon face?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 5

If you don't want to cut holes in the cakes for craters, you can use fondant ropes formed into rings. Place the rings on the cake before covering the whole cake in fondant and gently push the fondant inside the rings.

This assumes you are covering the whole cake in fondant, of course.

lapazlady Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 5

Excellent. And, yes, the cake will be fondant covered. I like the idea of placing rings on the cake before the fondant is applied, to create the craters. I don't think she has "the man in the moon" in mind. I haven't talked to her this AM, but I expect there will be more direction after I send a drawing of my idea (and yours) to her. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%