Just Dropped A 1/2 Sheet Cake

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 12:20am by au_decorator_76

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 10

Well, it's official. I qualify for a real disaster posting!

Got up this morning, get to the kitchen, mix & get 1/2 sheet in the oven: 4 layer cinnamon cake (2 pans in), check. Start on SMBC. Check. Cut out fondant lettering. Check. Make cream cheese SMBC for filling. Check. Cakes comes out of oven, turn out onto cooling racks, pop into freezer. Check. Eat breakfast. Have cup of coffee. Read email/mess with invoicing. Send a few tweets. Post on Facebook. Get cakes, torte, dam, fill, crumb coat, check. Go to put back in freezer to firm up buttercream...

...And clip the edge of the cake board on the door to the freezer. Cake hits the floor. (Applause). This was @ 10:20 am, cake was to be delivered at 1pm.

SO, I just remade the cake, BC, filling, fondant letters & flowers, slammed it all together and managed to only be an 1.5 hours late.

Thank goodness it's one of my corporate accounts that I have a great relationship with, I've never been late and cakes have always been perfect.

Happens to the best of us!

9 replies
Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 10

thats aweful. I'm glad you were able to remake it.

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 10

Oh man! That reminds me of the episode of the Next Great Baker when Buddy purposely dropped the wedding cakes. He wasn't fibbing when he said things like that happen. He would definitely be proud of your rebound! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:56am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife1

Oh man! That reminds me of the episode of the Next Great Baker when Buddy purposely dropped the wedding cakes. He wasn't fibbing when he said things like that happen. He would definitely be proud of your rebound! thumbs_up.gif

Can I tell you that is exactly what was going thru my head????? LOL!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:12am
post #5 of 10

I can only imagine how awful you felt at the moment....especially so close to deadline. Glad that you were able to recover.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 10

What a great recovery!!! I always make my deliveries at 10 am, so if I dropped one in the morning, there would be no time to rebake.....it's one of my biggest fears.

ralary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ralary Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:36am
post #7 of 10

cannt imagine how you feel at the moment,but you finally did it,great

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 10

i will never forget that sinking feeling in my stomach the first time i dropped an iced cake. Just happened to be the bottom of my first wedding cake order...lol Sorry...sounds like you did a great job staying calm and rebaking.

FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone! I wish I took a picture of the super-fast-I-can't-believe-I-just-pulled-this-off cake before delivering it, but I was in such a hurry I didn't even think about taking pictures!

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:20am
post #10 of 10

I'm actually impressed. I am sure you weren't cool and collected when it happened but you kept your head on and got it done. Crap happens.... it's what you do with it that shows your true character.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%