Putting Fondant On Top Of Ganache Question

Decorating By Spectra Updated 25 Jul 2015 , 12:18am by Hamish98

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 10

This will be the first time making ganache and putting it on a cake, so I'm wondering what you use to make the fondant stick to the ganache?

9 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 10

I lightly mist the ganached cake with a spray bottle (on mist setting, not spray or jet setting!), containing cooled, boiled water. Others just brush the water on too. Ensure your tiny amount of water covers all areas of your ganache, otherwise you it will not stick properly and you will spend a good few minutes popping air bubbles with a pin (ask me how I know icon_biggrin.gif ).

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 10

Oh dear, those pesky bubbles! I've had problems in the past with bubbles when I'd put fondant on buttercream, finally I learned to not put it on a cake that's been in the fridge for 6 hours.... Definitely want to avoid the bubbles! Off to get a spray bottle! Thank you!

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 10

I typically rub mine with a light coating of shortening...

mickey35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey35 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 10

I would think that ganache would be sticky enough for the fondat to ahere to it.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeaholic_cakery

I typically rub mine with a light coating of shortening...

I rub my shortening on my fondant. This seems to help my fondant from drying out before I can get it smoothed, reducing the elephant skin phenomenon while providing a 'glue" for the fondant and ganache.

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 10

So I started using ganache under fondant, and got a major bubble issue. First I tried vanilla vodka lightly spritzed on to attach the fondant... major bubbles, twice. Second, I tried water lightly spritzed on... major bubbles, 3 times. Last I tried a thin coat of shortening I rubbed between my hands then rubbed onto the underside of the fondant before attaching... only 1 bubble! My vote is definitely for shortening.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 10

When you mist the ganache, no matter how careful you are, it will bead up to a certain extent. This allows more air to be trapped under the fondant. When you rub shortening on the fondant, you're getting a more even coating and less air, so fewer bubbles to deal with. icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 10

I use a pastry brush to apply a thin coating of shortening. I find if I have to lift the fondant off that it doesn't leave any ganache on the fondant so I can reknead if I have to.

Hamish98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamish98 Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 12:18am
post #10 of 10

Thank you everyone for this.  I also made my first ganached cake today.  A two tier.  I don't think I will ever buttercream again it looks so superb (though costly!).  I covered the first tier and used the syrup recommended by Planet Cake.  Apricot jam, mixed with boiled water and strained.  Air bubbles galore.  I read the posts and used a thin layer of Crisco on the second layer.  Completely adhered, hardly had to use the smoothers and not one air bubble.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%