Apart On Valentine's Day

Decorating By cakecraft Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 5:04pm by Sam_paggers

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 12

I just had a sweet request from a daughter whose parents are apart for the first time ever on Valentine's day...her dad is 8 hours away undergoing medical treatment and she wants to do something special for her mom who would like to be with him.

I've gone through the galleries and googled ideas but I'm drawing a blank.
Any ideas for a cake design? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

11 replies
nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 12

This is a ticklish one isn't it? You don't want it to be too melancholy, but not too cutsey either.I would probably go for the two joined hearts. I hope there is someone on here who can come up with the perfect idea for you. Good luck!!

oakleygirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oakleygirl77 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 12

What about sending one of them a "key" cake and the other one a "heart" cake with a hole for the key.
or
make a heart shaped cake and send 1/2 of the heart to one and the other 1/2 to the other.

Maybe add a little note on some pretty paper saying that I hold the key to your heart or something to that nature.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleygirl77

What about sending one of them a "key" cake and the other one a "heart" cake with a hole for the key.
or
make a heart shaped cake and send 1/2 of the heart to one and the other 1/2 to the other.

Maybe add a little note on some pretty paper saying that I hold the key to your heart or something to that nature.

What a fantastic idea!
Or you could do a love letter. I did one for my husband last year (it was something from our early days) -it's in my photos. They may still be from the generation that actually wrote things to each other on paper!

cakecraft Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 12

Great ideas, folks. But she only wants the one cake, for her mom who is here in town. I pitched her a couple of ideas, including a map with hearts indicating where they both are and a dotted line connecting them, a giant hershey kiss with a personalized tag and the intertwined hearts. Love letter is a great idea too! Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know what I end up making icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraft

Great ideas, folks. But she only wants the one cake, for her mom who is here in town. I pitched her a couple of ideas, including a map with hearts indicating where they both are and a dotted line connecting them, a giant hershey kiss with a personalized tag and the intertwined hearts. Love letter is a great idea too! Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know what I end up making icon_smile.gif

Yes, please post pics after! I LUV the heart map idea too! You could even make the trail of tiny hearts to indicate the path from the Mom to the Dad (you can buy the tiny candied ones for cakes) with a big Heart marking th spot where he is. And put bigger hearts on the border or incorporate into the cake somehow. And add even a few more of the tiny hearts at the tips of the arrows on the compass? (that directional sign in the corner of the map) I hope you can picture what I'm saying? Have fun!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 12

Do you remember those heart friendship necklaces we used to have as kids? The heart says Best Friends and each friend gets half of the heart. How about making the heart and giving her half now for Valentines and save the other half for when she is reunited with her Valentine?

cakecraft Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 12

You guys are awesome! I want to make ALL of these, lol....sweet ideas. Cakesrock, I can totally picture that! I was thinking the little heart shaped sprinkles would make a super cute trail. We'll see what the daughter says...

cakerookie8915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerookie8915 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:20am
post #9 of 12

I love the idea of a heart cake with a piece missing. You could put some romantic note saying something like, a heart is not whole until he's home?? You could put the missing piece elsewhere on the board or just leave it off completely. Good luck to you.

cakecraft Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 12

cakerookie, that is really a sweet idea! Wish I had checked back sooner. She wants to go with the map idea, but have the map on a heart shaped cake. I hope it won't be too busy. I live on a very unusual shaped island (Newfoundland) and it will be a challenge to make the NL map icon_smile.gif I LOVE challenges!!!

I'll post pics when I am done icon_smile.gif

cakecraft Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 12

The finished cake, for any who are interested. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1942800

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 12

I missed this thread before!

What a lovely idea and the final cake looks great icon_smile.gif
I love the trial of hearts....swooon......

xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%