Do You Think This Will Look Stupid?extra Layer

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm by cheatize

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 7

I have a customer who I am making 10 mini doll cakes for her daughter's birthday using the Decopac plastic Disney princess torso's.The cake kits alone are $3.00 each.The cakes are made with the Wilton Mini wondermold pan but they seem awfully small and I am charging her $20.00 each because they are so time consuming and small.I was thinking maybe I should add an extra layer of cake 4 inches round so she feels like she is getting her money's worth for $20.00

Do you think it will look stupid adding a little height !!Here is a link of the original cake I am doing...

http://www.lowpriceplaza.com/detail/p_B0013WEVSG/Best-Buy-Petite-Cinderella-Topper-for-Petite-Doll-Cake-Onsale.html

Laurel icon_smile.gif

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

The cakes are made with the Wilton Mini wondermold pan but they seem awfully small and I am charging her $20.00 each because they are so time consuming and small.I was thinking maybe I should add an extra layer of cake 4 inches round so she feels like she is getting her money's worth for $20.00

Do you think it will look stupid adding a little height !!

They don't look very time consuming to me... I'd probably spend more time making presentation boards than on actual decorating time, but yes, at $20 apiece, I'd add the extra layer. I think you can always go taller and it'll still look good.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks CWR41...That's what I thought..I have made them before and they actually do take quite a bit of time...You would be surprised..I can ice and decorate a slab cake in the time it took me to do 12 of these for my daughter last year..Thus the price... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I think I will add the 4 inch layer..It won't cost me anymore...

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 7

I would definitely add an extra layer, one of my hugest dollcake pet-peeves is when the dress part isn't tall enough that the poor doll looks like it has a normal torso with little stub legs! and you're right, an extra four " round isn't going to really cost you a whole lot more as far as the ingredients and labor. Good luck icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 7

you are right, kiddiekakes, they are time consuming. And yes, i would add the extra layer. I do on the big ones also.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 7

Icer..I always add an extra layer under the large wondermold doll cake also...Don't want it to look chinnzy...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 7

I'd add an extra one. You don't want the princesses to look squatty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%