Large Skate Sheet Cake - What To Use For A Cake Circle?

Decorating By valeo75 Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 1:00pm by ramie7224

valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:54am
post #1 of 4

I am making a roller skate cake. The cake will lay flat like a sheet cake, but have some 3d effect. The cake will be covered in fondant and measures 13.5 inches from top of skate to bottom and 17.5 inches from heel of skate to toe. The wheels will be added separately and are not included in the above measurement.

So here is my dilemma: I need to put the cake on a cardboard separator so that I can carve it to size and so that I can move it to the fridge/counter, etc. as I am working on it (just as you would put each tier of a stacked cake on a cake circle). I did not want to use the standard cardboard cake circle/square and tape two pieces together because I did not feel it would support the cake as I moved it around or lifted. So I purchased 1/2 inch foam core.

I assume that Foam-Core boards are NOT food safe. (If this is incorrect please let me know). So here are my questions:

1. When using cake circles on a normal stacked cake, are they covered with anything or used as is?
2. When using something other than a cake circle for stacked cakes, what do you cover the material with?
3. Any ideas on what I can use that is food safe, and will not get soggy from having a cake on it?

Now, I am not referring to the cake board, that I will be covering separately and then placing the skate cake on top of it.
TIA!

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:55am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeo75

1. When using cake circles on a normal stacked cake, are they covered with anything or used as is?
2. When using something other than a cake circle for stacked cakes, what do you cover the material with?
3. Any ideas on what I can use that is food safe, and will not get soggy from having a cake on it?

1. As is. (That's what cake circles are made for.)
2. If "other than" refers to something that isn't foodsafe, you could cover with plastic food wrap like press n' seal.
3. Corrugated cake boards. (You could carve a full sheet board to the shape you need, and if you're worried about soggy, they are wax coated.)

valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks CWR41!

I have only ever used the waxed cake circles, but there isn't a place around here that sells them large enough to fit the cake, at least not for the home hobbyist.

Looks like I will run out and get some press n seal!

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 4

You can also use foam core. Michael's sells them- usually near the painting supplies and canvas at my local store. Just cut it down to the shape and size you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%