Chocolate Ganache

Baking By splendirifficcakes Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 2:37pm by splendirifficcakes

splendirifficcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splendirifficcakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:14am
post #1 of 3

I am looking for a wonderful ganache recipe. I have never used this on a cake. I am looking to achieve a very smooth and shiny finish. Do I use (smoothed) buttercream underneath? Is there a pouring method i should follow? Help icon_surprised.gif

2 replies
sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:10am
post #2 of 3

I cover my cakes with smbc, chill them until the icing is firm then pour the chocolate. You're looking to make ordinary ganache the ration of cream to chocolate is 1:1, e.g., 1 lb chocolate to 16 oz. cream. Boil your cream and then pour it over your chocolate. Let it sit for about five minutes and then stir in an even circular motion until all the chocolate has melted and the the cream is incorporated and smooth. Strain the ganache into a clean bowl through a mesh strainer. Put your cake on a wire rack that you have placed in a larger pan. Use a ladle, or large cup to scoop the chocolate out of the bowl. Start pouring the chocolate over the center of the cake and gently sweep the top of the ganache with whatever your using to pour to push the ganache out towards the sides. If you haven't poured enough chocolate to cover the entire cake, pour some more making the entire cake is covered and no white spots are showing. Give the pan a light but firm tap or two to even out any waves in your chocolate.

Scrap the ganache in the bottom of the pan back into your bowl.

You must work pretty fast because the cold buttercream under the ganache will cause the ganache to stiffen.

*** Also, make sure your ganache has cooled, room temp is good, before you pour it or you will melt the buttercream underneath.

You can also just pour it from the pan...I always use a ladle or large cup.

splendirifficcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splendirifficcakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks sugarflour2...I will give it a try! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%