Planet Cake White Mud Cake Recipe

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 3 Feb 2015 , 12:02pm by redvictory

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 46

Anyone tried the WHITE mud cake recipe out of the Planet Cake book?

I use their dark mud cake recipe a lot, which is great (although I do tweak it a little so the flavour is not so intense), but have never tried the white mud recipe. Has anybody tried this recipe?

45 replies
aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:54am
post #2 of 46

I never made a mud cake and have been wanting to try the recipe. How does this cake hold up for wedding cakes? I would like to try a mud cake recipe.. I need to look it up... thanks for the idea. Im going to keep a look out for the while mudcake recipe.. see if that worth trying too

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:03am
post #3 of 46

Could someone explain to this Canuck what a mud cake is? I've seen it mentioned before. Is it like molten chocolate cake where center is liquid???? Really would like to know. Hey I just discovered Red Velvet Cake a year ago... divine if made right.

Coral3 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #4 of 46

Mud cake is a very rich, moist chocolate cake - heavier than ordinary chocolate cake. Absolutely fine for stacked cakes...the 3 tier in my album is mud cake (ganached then covered in fondant). It's such a great cake...stays perfectly moist & delicious at room temperature for a week (actually, I've had my mud cake out at room temperature for over two weeks (with ganache, not buttercream) and you would NEVER know it was that old - still really delicious!) Freezes brilliantly too (I had one in the freezer I'd forgotten about...it was still PERFECT after about 4 months frozen).

(...can you tell I love mud cake? icon_biggrin.gif )

aviles2005 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:26am
post #5 of 46

do you have a recipe that you wouldnt mind sharing. I figure getting a recipe from a lover is better cause you have done the research

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:46am
post #6 of 46

www.exclusivelyfood.com.au has excellent choc and white mudcake recipes. All the measurements are metric, though.

I tried the planet cake choc mudcake and was abit disappointed, so haven't bothered with the white. Sorry I'm no help.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #7 of 46

haven't tried it but this is planet cakes recipe
7 3/4 oz butter
7 3/4 oz dark chocolate chopped
1 oz1/2 cup coffee granules
4 1/2 self raising flour
4 1/2 oz plain all purpose flour
1 1/2 oz1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 lb 1 oz / 1 3/4 cups caster sugar
4 eggs lightly beaten
7 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 1/2 fl oz buttermilk

preheat oven to 315 degrees. grease the tin and line the base and sides with a collar that extends 3/4 in above the top of the tin.

Put the butter, chocolate and coffee in a sauce pan w 5 1ure bowl. stir in the sugar and make a well int he center. add the combined egg, oil and buttermilk and the chocolate mixture, stirring with a large spoon until completely combined...

pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour 40 mnts or until a skewer poked into the center of the cake comes out clean. leave cake until cool

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:52am
post #8 of 46

Mudcake is moist? I tried a recipe a year ago. It was dense alright. I was torting it with dental floss and the floss cut through my finger because I had to pull so hard. It was also very dry. I've been afraid to try another recipe for fear that they are all like that or perhaps I'm supposed to put a lot of sugar syrup on it or something.

Coral3 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:37am
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Mudcake is moist? I tried a recipe a year ago. It was dense alright. I was torting it with dental floss and the floss cut through my finger because I had to pull so hard. It was also very dry. I've been afraid to try another recipe for fear that they are all like that or perhaps I'm supposed to put a lot of sugar syrup on it or something.

I'd say something was very wrong with that one - Mud cake definitely should not be dry!

mcaulir Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:57am
post #10 of 46

Sometimes the outer edges get a little dry if it's a large cake, because the middle can take quite a while to cook. Maybe 1/2 an inch?

Otherwise, it should be super moist. I would cut it with a good knife, though!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:22am
post #11 of 46

Never dry.

And Planet Cake's recipes have ever worked for me!

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:01am
post #12 of 46

Havn't tried the PC mud, I have a tried and true so have felt no need to change. However........ have recently discovered Tea Party which is a PC forum for cakies. Heaps of people on there have tried it and discussed it. Might be worth your while to check out that forum.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:16am
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

7 3/4 oz butter
7 3/4 oz dark chocolate chopped..

icon_surprised.gif Dark Chocolate - in a white mud cakeicon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Should that read WHITE chocolate?

Bluehue

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:25am
post #14 of 46

I've tried the white choc mudcake - my sister made it and I ate it! It was very, very moist and somewhat sweet but absolutely delicious!!!!!!!!!! Planet Cake recipes are exceptionally easy to get right if you just follow their instructions exactly.

Coral3 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:07am
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:

7 3/4 oz butter

icon_surprised.gif Dark Chocolate - in a white mud cakeicon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Bluehue

That is a recipe for chocolate mud (not white), Bakencake posted it as per Aviles' request.

Coral3 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:13am
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

I've tried the white choc mudcake - my sister made it and I ate it! It was very, very moist and somewhat sweet but absolutely delicious!!!!!!!!!! Planet Cake recipes are exceptionally easy to get right if you just follow their instructions exactly.

I might have to give it a go then, moist is what I'm after. I can't stand dry cake. I KNOW the Planet Cake choc mud recipe is moist, but just wasn't sure about the white mud. Generally I find that recipes for white mud vary quite a lot in terms of results.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:50pm
post #17 of 46

I've tried both chocolate and white mud recipes from PC. They definitely are very 'dense' and I think are perfect for decorated cakes, especially when working with fondant or making a 3-D, etc. I like the fact that the two recipes are not too sweet either and balance the fillings, etc. I did find them somewhat difficult to torte. I noticed that the white chocolate one forms a crust all around (though I do place a foil on top half way through). I've been told that it's also quite dry by a friend once which really surprised me because the day prior I tasted bits and pieces and it was very moist! Anyway, because I don't have consistency when I use these recipes, I've ended up not making them anymore...

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:00pm
post #18 of 46

I use the dark and white choc mud recipes from the Australian Women's Weekly book "Bake". They are both delicious, moist, and last a good long time, and I find flavour improves the longer it sits. I wonder if there is much difference between these cakes and the Planet Cake ones? The recipe is different. Has anyone tried both?

Bluehue Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:

7 3/4 oz butter

Bluehue

That is a recipe for chocolate mud (not white), Bakencake posted it as per Aviles' request.

My apologies
Bluehue

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:38pm
post #20 of 46

I guess I'll have to try it again sometime. Hubby tortes all my cake now since he is determined to make the Wilton leveler a useful tool, so I won't have to worry about floss cuts. Thanks for letting me know my experience was not normal!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #21 of 46

Bluehue, havent tried this one either but let me know how you like it if you do

Makes one 9in round cake or one 8in square

10 1/2oz unsalted butter, chopped
10 1/2oz white couverture chocolate, chopped
10 1/2oz plain AP flour
5 1/2 self rising flour
14 oz/1 3/4 cups caster sugar
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons natureal vanilla extract

preheat oven to 350 grease the tin and line the base and sides with collar of baking paoer that extends 3/4 in above the top of thin. Put butter and 9 1/2ozwater in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter has melted. turn off the heat then add the chocolateand stir until it has melted and well conbined

sift the flours together into a bowl. add the sugar and pinch of salt and make the well in the center

pour the chocolate mixture, egg and vanilla into the well then stir with a wooden spoon until well combined

pour into the cake tin. bake for 1hr 40 mnts or until the cake is golden brown and skewer comes out clean when poked into the middle of cake. cover w foil halfway through if cake is browning too quickly

leave to cool completely in tin on a rack

I have a question. for the sugar it says 14oz/ 1 3/4 cup. is that 14oz plus 1 3/4 or is that 14oz which is 1 3/4 cups.
thank you

aviles2005 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #22 of 46

My aunts birthday is coming up so it gives me a reason to try a new recipe. What filling do you put between the dark chocolate mud cake?

mcaulir Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 9:10am
post #23 of 46
Quote:

I have a question. for the sugar it says 14oz/ 1 3/4 cup. is that 14oz plus 1 3/4 or is that 14oz which is 1 3/4 cups.
thank you

1 3/4 cups sounds like about the right amount to me. I'm guessing that's equivalent to 14oz, which is about 400g, which is about the amount of sugar in the recipe I use.

aviles2005: I always just use ganache to fill and frost. Mud cakes are ridiculously heavy, so use something sturdy if you go for something else.

Bluehue Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 9:23am
post #24 of 46
Quote:

thank you

Here you go - this might help you...

Granulated, Superfine or Caster Sugar,,,,Cups to Grams

Remembering the cup measurements are American, which are less than our cup measurements

1/8 cup=30 grams
1/4 cup=55 grams
1/3 cup=75 grams
3/8 cup=85 grams
1/2 cup=115 grams
5/8 cup=140 grams
2/3 cup=150 grams
3/4 cup=170 grams
7/8 cup=200 grams
1 cup=225 grams

so in grams you would be needing 395 grams of sugar OR
1 and 3/4 cups.

Bluehue.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 10:25am
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Quote:

thank you

1 3/4 cups sounds like about the right amount to me. I'm guessing that's equivalent to 14oz, which is about 400g, which is about the amount of sugar in the recipe I use.

aviles2005: I always just use ganache to fill and frost. Mud cakes are ridiculously heavy, so use something sturdy if you go for something else.

It means either /or. Either weigh out 14oz OR measure out 1 3/4 cup. It is best if you weigh - it makes the recipe far more accurate. When I make a Planet Cake recipe, I weigh it out because then you get the same result every time. Planet Cake also highly recommends you weigh out the ingredients for the same reason. icon_smile.gif

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:08am
post #26 of 46

"I use the dark and white choc mud recipes from the Australian Women's Weekly book "Bake". They are both delicious, moist, and last a good long time, and I find flavour improves the longer it sits. I wonder if there is much difference between these cakes and the Planet Cake ones? The recipe is different. Has anyone tried both?"

I've tried both and I have to say I prefer the Planet Cake recipes, they tend to bake more evenly. The PC white chocolate mud cake also makes a beautiful caramel mud cake if you add a tin of nestle top and fill caramel. I also use brown sugar instead of caster to make it a little more caramel in flavour. Has a beautiful texture.

Coral3 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:57am
post #27 of 46

White mud cakes in oven now, will report back when I've tasted!

aviles2005 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #28 of 46

Coral3
how did the cake turn out, what kind of icing did you fill it with

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:42pm
post #29 of 46

It's fab - tastes delicious and I love it!

Coral3 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:10am
post #30 of 46

Just updating..........................I've tried the White Mud recipe a few times now, and each time it has turned out really good. I've been icing it with White Chocolate Ganache, which is perfect with it. I've also made it with a Baileys & White Chocolate Ganache, which was very good, and I've also made the cake itself with Baileys in it, which is delicious (am eating a piece as I type this actually, LOL). It's nice and moist, good texture, bakes well, and keeps brilliantly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%