Help I Can't Get It Right On My Cricut!!

Decorating By lOIDA Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 7:46pm by Karen421

lOIDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lOIDA Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 9

I finally got a great deal on a cricut cake, super excited, but I follow the directions and tips and can't seem to get it right! it either rips it or breaks it or wrinkles it! I would GREATLY appreciate any tips or tricks to get nice clean cutouts PLEASE!!

Thanks!

8 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 9

I have been told that if you roll out your GP or Fondant thin and let it sit and dry for a few min you'll have a much easier time.
Hope that helps.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 9

I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe. Roll it out EXTREMELY thin. To the point I can see the lines through it. Let it sit for approx. 15 min. then cut. I still occasionally get jagged lines if the peice is very intricate.

holtesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holtesl Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 9

I actually used modeling chocolate for my cake. I rolled it out, put it on the mat, and then stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes. Once it was chilled it was really easy to work with. It took a long time though...next time, I'll purchase another mat so I can work on one while the other is in the freezer.

holtesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holtesl Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 9

I tried uploading a photo of the cake I did with the cricut, but I couldn't get it to work...check out the photo in my profile.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 9

thin thin thin.. and then

dry dry dry and then

CUT!

also.. make sure your speed isn't too fast.

I am still trying to get mine right.. I have gotten a few things to work that aren't very detailed so I am thrilled.. no working on cutting scrolls, etc..

valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 9

My Cricut was a Christmas present from mom. Until the other day I have had no luck with fondant, not freezing, not leaving it out to sit.

So, I tried again the other day and I sprinkled a little gumtex on my work surface and kneaded the fondant on it until pliable and worked in. Then I rolled it out on the cricut mat (thin enough so that I could see the line markers. Worked great! I noticed almost no drag on the fondant except where I rolled it uneven (thicker).

I tried some of the paisley type cuts and a Happy Birthday this time, but not an intricate design. The key really seemed to be recipe and rolling, so don't give up!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 9

i used mine for the firs ttime yesterday and used the following tips that i've read on the boards here. I used satin ice fondant straight from the bucket.

1) Roll it thin!!! as mentioned so you can see the lines through the medium you're using. When you can see the lines, roll it a little thinner!
2) Let it air dry. I let mine sit for about 30-60 mins (i don't remember for sure i was chasing two kids under 2 aroun) I dont' understand the whole freezer thing b/c as fondant comes to room temp it softens and can cause issues when cutting.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 9

The key is to read and research what problems and solutions everyone else has had, then to pick the technique that works best for you. I can cut just about anything, including cookie dough, but it took a lot of practice and patience. Once you figure out the feel of the medium you are cutting or the correct dryness, it's very easy. Freezing definitely does not work in my area, it just makes a sticky, gooey mess, but it may work in your region. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678490-success.html+circut

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%