Frosting Help!

Decorating By socalcakegirl Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 2:51am by socalcakegirl

socalcakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socalcakegirl Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:32am
post #1 of 5

icon_cry.gif So I had been hearing talk at the bakery I work at, about the new laws on taking out the bad fats in shortening. They are not sure how it was going to affect the consistency of the frosting. ITS HORRIBLE!!! I just made a batch of Butter cream frosting, it calls for butter and shortening (i used crisco) and its like nothing I have ever seen. Its not blending together! When I stir it and pull out the spatula it doesn't even stick to the spatula!
I really don't know what to do with this i made a HUGE batch, and need to frost these cakes tonight!
Does anyone else know what is going on or is having this trouble too? I heard they were taking cakes off the shelf's in grocery stores!

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:53am
post #2 of 5

the amercian buttercream that i make with crisco and butter and then add whipping cream in stead of water or milk always comes out great and taste great. wilton.com has this recipe on their site, but , again i use whipping cream instead of water or milk. hth keep beating yours more and it should come together. are you using a hand mixer or larger mixer. even with my kitchen aid , i beat on low-med speed about 7 minutes. you can,t just stir it, you have to beat it. hth

socalcakegirl Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 5

I beat it in my Cuisinart mixer on medium/high for 10 minutes. It still did not combine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 5

The new no transfat Crisco is evil. Reportedly IndyDebi's recipe with the DreamWhip works. basically you have to get some fat back into the recipe. Whipping cream should work as reported above. I use Alpine. The professional shortenings formulated for icings are much, much better than Crisco.

As far as making icing to use tonight, you might try beating in a bit more (not much) powdered sugar.

socalcakegirl Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:51am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much! I ended up frosting the cake it was tedious but after hot-knifing it, it looks ok. Now im just worried about making colors lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%