Fondant Bow

Decorating By Bruno2010 Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm by Mb20fan

Bruno2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bruno2010 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:16am
post #1 of 7

how do i get a fondant bow to hold to hold on the side of round cake. The bow is not sitting on the tier underneath it is on the side of the cake. It is a dress bow. Kinda like a bow tie but it has tails haning. Help please

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:33am
post #2 of 7

I use two things...one is a toothpick in the side of the cake which sticks out just enough to slide the bow onto it. Then I use royal icing on the back of the bow, including where the toothpick goes in, and then I slide the bow onto the toothpick and hold it while the royal icing dries. If it's really heavy you can used balled up plastic wrap or cotton balls to hold it while the royal dries. HTH. Cat

Bruno2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bruno2010 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:15am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I use two things...one is a toothpick in the side of the cake which sticks out just enough to slide the bow onto it. Then I use royal icing on the back of the bow, including where the toothpick goes in, and then I slide the bow onto the toothpick and hold it while the royal icing dries. If it's really heavy you can used balled up plastic wrap or cotton balls to hold it while the royal dries. HTH. Cat

it will be on buttercream

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 7

Make sure your fondant is rolled thin enough, so it's not too heavy or it will never stay on.

catlharper Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 7

You will be able to get it to stick to the buttercream with more buttercream but you will need to make sure the bow isn't so heavy as mentioned above.

catlharper Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 7

You will be able to get it to stick to the buttercream with more buttercream but you will need to make sure the bow isn't so heavy as mentioned above.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 7

Make sure you shape it against something contoured so that it is takes the curved shape of the cake. If you are putting the bow on an 8" cake, shape the bow against the 8" cake pan so that it will harden to that shape. And, give it ample time to dry/set/harden.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%