Last Minute Help - Do I Refrigerate Cream Cheese Icing?

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 2:34am by FayMakesCakes

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #1 of 8

I know this has been asked tons of times, but I never thought about it until now i have made up a batch! It's Edna's recipe, basically butter, shortening, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.

It's on cupcakes for lunch tomorrow, so it will be less than 24 hours, but wanted to make sure it will be ok, or should I put them in the fridge overnight? I didn't want it to try out my cupcakes too much!

Thanks for the last minute help!

7 replies
bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:46am
post #2 of 8

yes I would! I always refrigerate my cream cheese frosting especially for a long period of time like that. icon_smile.gif

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:50am
post #3 of 8

I've actually left them out before and they were perfectly fine.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:52am
post #4 of 8

I always put cream cheese icing in the fridge. Is it cold outside where you live? If so, put them in the car tonight. I've done that, too, and then I know I won't forget to bring them with me!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:11am
post #5 of 8

Fridge it!! Cuppies once iced won't dry out easily so overnight isn't a problem. I usually put mine in the containers I deliver them in and then stick them in the fridge.

milib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milib Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:35am
post #6 of 8

Hi Sullymel13, I am a chef by profession. Sugar as salt are natural preservatives, you can leave your cream cheese icing outside without any refrigeration only if it has 70% or more of powder sugar. Other than that keep it cold. Here at Sprinkles we keep our icings outside because the sugar ratio is very high and if we store them in the fridge the sugar crystalizes and becomes very hard to stir them. Have a happy baking.

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:59am
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for all the help! I'll put them in the fridge tonight!

FayMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FayMakesCakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:34am
post #8 of 8

There was a similar thread about this on cc pretty recently and I believe that someone said that Edna's cream cheese frosting did NOT have to be refrigerated while most others do. I tried to find it but couldn't, maybe someone else will have better luck.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%