Help...fondant Always Has Specks In It!

Decorating By brenda5420 Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm by Coral3

brenda5420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda5420 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 10

My "NEW" fondant always seems to have these little specks in them after I roll it out. Not sure how to describe what they are except they always look the same, little speck like lines. I have thoughly CLEANED everything I use over and over again thinking it was that...then I bought new fondant thinking it was that. But no matter what I do those darn speck lines are always there and I have to take a toothpick and pick them out.,which always ruins what I am making. It's just something that is driving me nuts because I simply cannot figure it out. I use a cutting mat and wilton white rolling pin to roll it out, which like I said earlier, I always clean,because I feel that is where the problem should be...but NO...they are still there. Anyone ever have this weird problem??
Thanks!! icon_smile.gif
Brenda

9 replies
LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 10

What I think you might be seeing is some possible lint fibers - possibly from what you are wearing??

Have you tried rolling brushing yourself first - I was wearing a red shirt one day and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening to my white fondant until I realized - OMG - it's me!

I also keep a little piece of "scrap" fondant next to my station and roll it around my fingers and my mat before actually rolling out my fondant I'm going to use on my cake... This has helped wonders!

Just a thought! icon_smile.gif

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 10

Never had this problem, but I make my own fondant. Is it maybe hair? Do you have pets? When you pull the 'speck-like lines' out, are they hard, flexible, or have a color to them? I don't really know what this could be...

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 10

I always have this problem if I wear cotton. Wear a long synthetic shirt. I always wear jeans but make sure the shirt covers most of me. I also clean my hands and my workspace using a small ball of fondant as mentioned above. I keep meaning to see if scrubs are synthetic, I think they would be perfect to wear when decorating.

brenda5420 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 10

I also thought it could be what I am wearing,so I brush myself off and still the same results. I do have a dog,but he he all white and these lint specks are always the same dark brown color. The texture is like hair fibers. Which, I always pull my hair back and I have light blond hair. Like I said..VERY weird!! Driving me insane!! LOL
Do you think it could simply be in my air??

brenda5420 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 10

I also thought it could be what I am wearing,so I brush myself off and still the same results. I do have a dog,but he he all white and these lint specks are always the same dark brown color. The texture is like hair fibers. Which, I always pull my hair back and I have light blond hair. Like I said..VERY weird!! Driving me insane!! LOL
Do you think it could simply be in my air??

SweetThingBlackOrchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThingBlackOrchid Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 10

Check where you are rolling it out.....is there a vent (filter)near by? It could be kicking out unseen lint.
What are you rolling on...what is the Wilton mat placed on? It could be transfering flecks to your fondant (wood, lint).
Wear white polyesther aprons (never jeans unless completely covered).
Wear a plastic cap.
Use new fresh fondant (if its hard on the edges cut off the hard part and toss).
If you haveacrylic nails, cut them down or off.
Check your other tools. Watch for brushes used in glues and luster dusts.

brenda5420 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions...I will try them out and let you know how I made out!! icon_smile.gif
It's so great how fast you can can help on CC!! Great people on here!! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 10

May also be the towel you're drying your hands and tools with. Try wearing gloves and using lint-free flour sack towels.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

May also be the towel you're drying your hands and tools with. Try wearing gloves and using lint-free flour sack towels.

That's just what I was about to add...definitely could be the hand towel - I have hand towels I avoid when decorating for this very reason. And I always wear a white shirt when using light colours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%