Creamsicle Flavored Buttercream Frosting

Baking By kathiep50 Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm by cheatize

kathiep50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathiep50 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #1 of 9

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to make buttercream frosting to taste like a creamsicle. My daughter is requesting this for her birthday on an orange and white checkerboard cake.

8 replies
bradfab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradfab Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 9

Use orange emulsion as your flavoring. I did it once and it tasted just like a creamsicle.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 9

You can also do half vanilla and half orange extract. My husband does it that way and it also tastes exactly like an orange creamsicle.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:35am
post #4 of 9

I believe the key is to start with a cream cheese icing, then I added orange oil flavoring. The cream cheese gives it the "cream' taste.

I tasted a Dreamsicle cheese cake once. Even tho' I HATE cheesecake, I had to recreate this flavor. After a little playing around, I came up with Dreamsicle icing.

It was hit with my clients from day one! thumbs_up.gif My favorite story is the mom who tasted my dreamsicle icing, then went to her 2nd tasting at another bakery. She specifically requested "orange" icing and when she came back to order the cake from me, she told me their's was "not even close!" icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:30am
post #5 of 9

I thought emulsions were for baking? I would use orange flavoring added to cream cheese icing.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:46am
post #6 of 9

I found an ice cream topping that is (Sunkist I think?) orange "soda", but tastes like orange cream. I made it with Pastry Pride for a filling...one of my favorites so far, but I'm sure it would work with buttercream too. I found it with the chocolate/caramel syrups at the grocery.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:52am
post #7 of 9

someone said the other day to use orange emulsion, so I got some and I am hoping I can find the darn recipe using that now.....

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:00am
post #8 of 9

ok I was not sure myself about this orange emulsion so I researched and found this.....fyi

Product description of orange emulsion from King Arthur Flour:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/orange-emulsion-4-oz

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, madgeowens! I picked up some on clearance a week or so ago and now I can use it for both baking and icings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%