Cake Mix In A Shop?

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 4:51am by motherofgrace

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:25am
post #31 of 45

I just read the website about the Cake Boss' software - they use mixes. So be it.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:42am
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I remember seeing on the NY news station a week or so ago that NYC laid off all their Kosher Inspectors. They interviewed some Kosher establishments and they were all very upset by this, mainly they said because it puts everyone on their honor system and not everyone will strictly adhere to it. This makes me glad for those of you who are so concerned with so careful with this.

Wow, why is NYC paying Rabbis? I thought that wasn't "kosher", pun intended. Or do you not have to be a rabbi to be a kosher inspector? Our's was a Rabbi. I would think it should have to be by someone who "has skin in the game" and he should be paid by those who care, not taxpayers. I thought people had to pay to be inspected, that was why it was so expensive to be Kosher. Why would the city have anything to do with it?

Is the kosher certification on DH, or BC generally trusted? I know that it is not on a lot of generics and off brands.

I love mixes! but i do feel like I am cheating, though I think it is ludicrous to feel that way. I can't bake a decent scratch cake, and I have had 1 decent scratch cake in my whole life. I had scratch wedding cake a few months ago, and it was terrible. I thought it didn't have sugar, but a man sitting across from me at the table informed me it was missing the love, lol. BTW, I did his wedding cake 3 years ago, and he still tells everyone about how good it was. That's how he introduces me,"Anna, this is Brenda. Brenda, this is Anna, you should try her cakes! She did our wedding, the cake was TO DIE FOR." lol (emphasis his)

That is what matters! thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:41pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I remember seeing on the NY news station a week or so ago that NYC laid off all their Kosher Inspectors. They interviewed some Kosher establishments and they were all very upset by this, mainly they said because it puts everyone on their honor system and not everyone will strictly adhere to it. This makes me glad for those of you who are so concerned with so careful with this.

Wow, why is NYC paying Rabbis? I thought that wasn't "kosher", pun intended. Or do you not have to be a rabbi to be a kosher inspector? Our's was a Rabbi. I would think it should have to be by someone who "has skin in the game" and he should be paid by those who care, not taxpayers. I thought people had to pay to be inspected, that was why it was so expensive to be Kosher. Why would the city have anything to do with it?

Is the kosher certification on DH, or BC generally trusted? I know that it is not on a lot of generics and off brands.

I love mixes! but i do feel like I am cheating, though I think it is ludicrous to feel that way. I can't bake a decent scratch cake, and I have had 1 decent scratch cake in my whole life. I had scratch wedding cake a few months ago, and it was terrible. I thought it didn't have sugar, but a man sitting across from me at the table informed me it was missing the love, lol. BTW, I did his wedding cake 3 years ago, and he still tells everyone about how good it was. That's how he introduces me,"Anna, this is Brenda. Brenda, this is Anna, you should try her cakes! She did our wedding, the cake was TO DIE FOR." lol (emphasis his)

That is what matters! thumbs_up.gif

OOps, I was wrong, the interviews on tv were done talking to establishments in NYC, but it's NY State that laid them off. Here is the story:
http://privateinvesigations.blogspot.com/2011/01/ny-kosher-inspectors-eliminated.html

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:05pm
post #34 of 45

I would never sell a cake mix cake from a bakery. Sure, grocery store bakeries do it, but that's not what or who you are, is it? Take the time to find good, from-scratch cakes, and then charge for the quality AND for your fabulous decorating. I am opening my shop in the fall, and I worked very hard to develop good, moist scratch cakes for my menu. I am not a grocery store bakery, and I plan on using that as major marketing power. My customers are the people who hate grocery store cakes and fake frosting. Decide first what kind of bakery you are, and then decide whether or not from-scratch baking is a part of your business identity. Good luck!

cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
post #35 of 45

I know of some HUGELY successful businesses that not only use box mix, but in one case, they also use canned frosting. They are in a highly populated, affluent area and are raking in the money. I think it's just up to each person/business to decide what they prefer and what their clients prefer and how to make money and stay in business. With over 300 million people in this country alone, I'm sure there are enough people with any given set of taste preferences to make whatever is good. In some ways, it would seem that customer service could be the more deciding factor. Taste has to absolutely be there, to sustain yourself, but then I think it's customer service that will determine if you keep a customer or not.

We're still hobby bakers and are always looking for the best scratch recipes we can find. Though my husband was working from someone else's business (his mentor) for quite awhile. I wouldn't make a RV cake any way except Cakeman Raven's recipe, as well as his cream cheese frosting. Some things we do from scratch, and others from a box. We're still working on extended recipes, and just bought the book for that. But we know what our people are liking better and we make a given flavor based on their preferences and not a predetermined mindset of our own. And to test flavors and recipes, we have cupcake parties for our family and friends and make all kinds of combinations in mini's and give everyone questionaires to fill out. We have a ball, and get ideas for new variations and are told what works best for them, what combinations they like, flavors they do and don't like. I think it will always be an ongoing process, and change.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:30am
post #36 of 45

Just like others before me, "if it isn't broken-don't fix it". Take your doctored mixes to the bakery and continue being the success you are!

Now, I have not read in any of the post where you can get bulk DH mix. Does anyone know?

cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:25pm
post #37 of 45

Here is the link to Duncan Hines, maybe write them directly and ask, 1. Do they offer it, and 2. Where can you buy it....

http://www.duncanhines.com/

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:07pm
post #38 of 45

Mrs. AB I have purchased Duncan HInes at Costco in my are and a package of 6 sell for less than $6.00. Less than &1.00 each is pretty good.

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:39pm
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeonista

Mrs. AB I have purchased Duncan HInes at Costco in my are and a package of 6 sell for less than $6.00. Less than &1.00 each is pretty good.

I wish we had Costco! That is an excellent price! They are about $1.25ish at my Walmart, but are over $2.50 at ALL the other local stores, but you can get them often 10 for $10 with your plus card, or MVP card, or whatever the gimmick is. icon_lol.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #40 of 45

At my Costco they are about 1.25 a box by the time you do the division. I find them all the time at one grocery store or anther on sale for 89 cents.. yes, here in SoCal.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #41 of 45

Thats a great price tryingcake. Yes Annabakescakes every once in a while my supermarket does the 10 for 10 dollars and I take advantage but if there is no sale Costco is the cheapest.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:38am
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

He can afford the extra cost for specialty ingredients and bake scratch because his business is very successful and busy all the time so I'm sure he isn't hurting money wise ...

Baking from scratch is actually cheaper than using box mixes if you buy the raw ingredients in bulk. Traditional scratch cakes don't really have "specialty" ingredients...even gluten-free scratch recipes are cheap, since the main ingredient is usually rice flour, which is available in bulk from most restaurant supply stores.

I have to disagree baking from scratch is more expensive. Let's see from scratch: unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, milk or half and half, vanilla, sour cream (in some recipes)

and from a box: box of cake mix which is probably a dollar or two, eggs and maybe some oil or water.

That's a big difference. I bake from scratch and it is not cheap.

The operative word that jasoncraft used was IF you buy it in bulk..... I have to agree with you!! I wish that I had the customer base where I could purchase it in bulk but I don't have any place to store it and it would probably go bad before I could use it all. icon_cry.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:39am
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeonista

Thats a great price tryingcake. Yes Annabakescakes every once in a while my supermarket does the 10 for 10 dollars and I take advantage but if there is no sale Costco is the cheapest.

The only place I can find the Cherry Chip sells it for $2.69, the ONLY time I shop there is when I see their ad for 10 for $10 on DH, and then I stock up. I have it in the fridge at 36*. Just in case.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:45am
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Quote:

have to disagree baking from scratch is more expensive. Let's see from scratch: unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, milk or half and half, vanilla, sour cream (in some recipes)

and from a box: box of cake mix which is probably a dollar or two, eggs and maybe some oil or water.

Just an FYI, I use doctored mixes 98% of the time, which use ALL of the above listed ingredients (along with my handmade REAL vanilla extract) AND a cake mix. So, my doctored mix cake costs are just as high, if not higher than your "scratch" one. That isn't a valid point in my business.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Quote:
Quote:

have to disagree baking from scratch is more expensive. Let's see from scratch: unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, milk or half and half, vanilla, sour cream (in some recipes)

Just an FYI, I use doctored mixes 98% of the time, which use ALL of the above listed ingredients (along with my handmade REAL vanilla extract) AND a cake mix. So, my doctored mix cake costs are just as high, if not higher than your "scratch" one. That isn't a valid point in my business.

I have to agree, my doctored mix is cake mix, flour, sugar, eggs, and high quality vanilla....... if its my carrot is it all of the above plus 2 real carrots

My costs are what sells my business, how good my product tastes is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%