More Red Velvet Questions

Lounge By sarascakecreations Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm by costumeczar

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:51am
post #1 of 14

Hello,

yet another red velvet question?

So I'm happy with my recipe and the taste etc... it could be a bit moister... maybe I'm overcooking or maybe I need to add a bit more oil.

Anyway my question is no matter what I do it still is not coming out as red as I'd like it. No matter which bakery I go to their's is always this beautiful deep red. Soooo I was wondering instead of using the liquid red food coloring can I use the gel red color? If so it would be less than normally used with the liquid right? do you think it will give a deeper color?

Also... I've searched online and found some recipes with beet juice in. And I'm wondering if anyone has used beets and if so did it taste good? Also how deep was the red color?

S.

13 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:13am
post #2 of 14

Check Martha Stewart's recipe for red velvet cake. I think she uses the gel paste instead of the liquid.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:38am
post #3 of 14

I would like to know too.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 8:41am
post #4 of 14

Cakeman Raven's is BRIGHT red with half the coloring and it is very moist. It does need a little more cocoa powder than called for in the recipe.

sarascakecreations Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 14

I have made cake man raven's cake and my red doesn't come out very bright?!?!?

I mean the inside is bright for sure, but I've seen him bake his cake on tv and even his edges are red! mine always come out brownish! how is it that bakeries can cookie red cupcakes and they stay red in the liners not brown.

off to check martha stewart's recipe...

S.

scp1127 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:55am
post #6 of 14

sarascakecreations, mine was BRIGHT red to the edge. I tweaked his recipe, but only lessened the oil, halved the red, and upped the cocoa powder. I don't know why it was so red. I bake my cakes until just barely done. Maybe that kept it red to the edge. I have other red velvet recipes and they aren't as bright with the same amount of red coloring.

sarascakecreations Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 14

oh wow and halving the red and upping the cocoa powder worked? i would think it wouldn't be as bright.... and that adding more cocoa powder would make it darker but iguess not.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 14

At work we use gel food color and just add until we get the shade we want. I really dont see the appeal of red velvet cake. Its just a lighter chocolate cake with tons of bad for you dye. Not my cup of tea.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 14

I've been seeing some red velvet cakes being made with beets. Wonder how that turns out?

sarascakecreations Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 14

I love red velvet cake! the taste, the color, everything about it icon_biggrin.gif

as for the beets I've also seen some recipes online but haven't had the time to try them out so I can't help you there icon_sad.gif

scp1127 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:30am
post #11 of 14

sarascakecreations, just google his recipe and watch the tweaks. I used regular red food coloring because the liquid obviously works or his cake would not be all over the internet. Maybe my lessening of the oil lessened the dilution of the red. The cocoa powder is only a few tablespoons. I was very happy with the cake and there was none left. Just taste the batter as you go and do what tastes right to you. This is a very moist cake if it is not overcooked.

sarascakecreations Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:59am
post #12 of 14

Thanks so much, and your right his recipe does taste wonderful... I eat the cake scraps lol whenever I make it. I will try your suggestions, thanks again!

1 more thing and I guess it's not reallyyyy red velvet related but the cake I am baking has a rather large base, and it's my 1st time baking in this pan. It's a 16x16 square pan... so I need to use something to get heat in the center... I don't have any heating core thingy but I've read I can use a flower nail.... so is 1 enough for a cake that size... or should I do more than 1?

Sara

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:09pm
post #13 of 14

I'd use 3-4 flower nails and bake even strips for a pan that large.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm
post #14 of 14

You could use airbrush food coloring, that tends to be a little stronger. I use that and it comes out so red I decrease the amount because it just seems like too much. I wrote a couple of articles on my blog about red velvet and substituted other colors for it, and they all came out pretty true to color also. I thought it was kind of gross, actually.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%