New Oven For My House

Decorating By Bonnell Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 1:26am by Bonnell

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 18

My oven has called it quits and I'm now shopping for it's replacement. Does anyone have an oven (residential) that you are pleased with - something that gives consistenly good results? It will be a built-in if that makes a difference. What about convection ovens - anyone have any advice on that option? So far I like the GE and the Maytag but I scared to commit (been burned by bad appliance choices in the past). Any input would be appreciated.

17 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 18

I just got a new one myself at the beginning of December. I got a GE that has a double oven. Love it! Being able to bake twice the amount of cake in half the time has saved me a lot of headaches recently.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:39am
post #3 of 18

I bought a new stove in October it's a Frigidaire with a fake convection(just a fan) gas. I have loved it 4 burners with griddle /burner in the middle. I can now make a 3 times as much at one time.

PokiNielsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PokiNielsen Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:55am
post #4 of 18

Search GE Model # PT958DR

OR

LG Model # LWD3080

Either one only comes in Black or Stainless

Bonnell Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #5 of 18

Thanks everyone for your input. Due to space limitations I am limited to a single oven unfortunately. I have already looked at the GE's and am liking them so dar. Does anyone have any experience with Maytag?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:20am
post #6 of 18

Kitchenaid convection. I can't say enough good things about it. I even put a double in my commercial kitchen along with another oven.

PokiNielsen Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 18

May tag is now built by Whirlpool. You would be getting a Whirlpool product. They are worth checking out!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 18

Mine is a Whirlpool with a glass cooktop, love it. I have had it for going on 11 years. It is self-cleaning, so if I do have any accidents with pies or cakes I basically takes care of itself. Looks like new after 11 years. I can't say enough good things about it.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnell

Thanks everyone for your input. Due to space limitations I am limited to a single oven unfortunately. I have already looked at the GE's and am liking them so dar. Does anyone have any experience with Maytag?

Check out the GE oven on HHGregg, model #198620. It's the double oven I'm talking about. It's the same size as a regular oven.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 18

I have an electrolux gas oven/range that is awesome. It has 3 glide out racks and a warming oven at the bottom. It has wave touch controls which are super easy to use. It was a bit pricey but well worth the investment.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 18

Just beware with self cleaning convection ovens some of the ovens can be smaller than what you might be used to, so pay attention to oven size as well!

Bonnell Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks for the ideas. I've been looking at the GE, Kitchen Aid, & Electrolux. Love the glide out racks and the hidden elements in the bottom. I'm not a fan of Whirlpool (that's what I'm replacing) so I will be staying away from that brand and since Maytag & Kenmore are Whirlpool products that rules them out as well. So, I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of the 3 brands I've mentioned above.

When my Dad was here today to haul off my old oven he asked my husband what he was thinking of replacing it with and my DH's response was priceless: "Something that bakes good cakes"! My Dad then asked if my "profit" on cakes would pay for the oven and my DH was laughing so hard all he could gasp out was "I wish!" (I don't sell my cakes) I loved it!

Well, wish me luck in my quest.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 18

I have a kitchenaid convection. I love my oven and will not part with it. The oven is a bit smaller and I can't get the 14" square in but other than that love it.

PokiNielsen Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 8:53pm
post #14 of 18

Kitchen Aid is a Whirlpool product also!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 18

I have a GE Profile, electric convection. Love it.

One word of advice, take your largest cake pan with you when you go shopping to make sure it fits in the oven you want.

Bonnell Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 18

It's amazing the things you learn when you do a little research. It seems that Whirlpool no longer makes the Kenmore ovens, refrigerators, or washers. Electrolux makes the ovens, and LG makes the fridges and washers. And, yes, Whirlpool makes KitchenAid.

I'm torn between the 30" GE Profile convection and the 30" Electrolux convection. It will come down to price and which one requires the least amount of cut out space in the cabinet since I'm limited there. We are actually thinking of ordering the oven online for my husband to install. It's several hundred dollars cheaper and free shipping. He's only slightly worried about the carpentry part of the installation because he's afraid he might not have the right tools for enlarging the existing cut-out (I had a 27" previously).

Thanks for your input, much appreciated, especially about the convection part of it because that was making me a little nervous.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 18

If you order a large item: stove, oven, washer/dryer or floor covering online-make sure you read the delivery details. Some or most have curb side delivery which is fine if you are home and have people who are able to carry it inside and install it. Curb side means just that. They drive up and put it at the end of the driveway.
My friend ordered a large washer/dryer and didn't realize that it was curb side delivery. Her husband could not get it in the house on his own. After paying someone to bring it in and install it it cost her about a hundred dollars more than if she bought it from the local appliance store.

Bonnell Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:26am
post #18 of 18

We ended up ordering through Loews and they will notify us when it comes in and set up a delivery time. I think we'll be okay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%