I Don't Need That Much

Decorating By KayMc Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 6:15pm by DianeLM

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 6

I haven't made a cake in a few months due to major life changes, surgery, etc. I will be making a 90th birthday cake for my mom the end of January, though, and I want to make the numerals 90 as a cake topper. I've made my own gum paste several times, but since I'm in a place where I'm not doing many cakes, I want to know what I can do with the bulk of the recipe that I make. Can I freeze the gum paste I don't use?

5 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:01am
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure that freezing would be a good idea. But you could wrap the remained very tightly in plastic wrap and then store it in an air tight container. It should stay for a while, but I think eventually it will get hard on you.

MartiW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartiW Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:26am
post #3 of 6

I freeze gum paste all the time. Make sure to wrap it good in plastic wrap then put it in a freezer bag. If you have a food saver it works great for this.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:59am
post #4 of 6

I just used Wilton's gumpaste mix for the first time. The directions say to pretty much use the whole can and add water to it. I only neeeded a golf ball sized amount so I put some of the powder into a custard cup and added enough water to make a thick paste. From there I added a little confectioner's sugar at a time until it came together in a ball. It worked perfectly- rolled great and dried just fine.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! I do have a food saver, so I'll whip up a batch of gum paste, and freeze the rest. Thank you so much!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 6

Another vote for freezing here. icon_smile.gif

You also may want to take this opportunity to make some gumpaste flowers to have on hand for future cakes. They can be stored almost indefinitely in a NON-airtight container with a couple of packs of silica gel and protected from light.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%