Cakelove Recipes?

Baking By ccordes Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm by ccordes

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 6

My mom got me Warren Brown's Cakelove book for Christmas. I love their cupcakes and was so excited to try making something myself. I tried the chocolate butter cake today. Can't find my other 9in cake pan, so I'm having to bake one layer at a time. The first layer did not rise at all!! I turned it out onto the cooling rack and it's barely 1/2 an in thick. The recipe specifically says to not flour the pan, so I didn't that time but did with the second layer. It looked like it might actually be rising the second time, but now it looks like it's going to turn out like the first layer. I'm trying to figure out what I possibly did wrong. Anyone else try his recipes??

5 replies
tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 6

I have only tried two recipes out of his book: the LCD pound cake and the yellow (butter?)cake. Both cakes rose normally in the oven and did not sink. Did you weigh the dry ingredients? Check the expiration date on your rising agents (baking powder and/or baking soda). I have not tried his chocolate cakes yet but did you follow the recipe and techniques to a "t"? I've heard that minor changes to his recipes (and many others) can easily alter the finished cake.
Edit: I sprayed the pans with Pam baking spray, as I always do.
HTH

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 6

I use his yellow cake recipe I got from his youtube video. I just use Pam baking spray on my pans. I do weigh the ingredients too. I think that makes a difference. A weighed ingredient doesn't translate well to cups. I thought it would be a pain to weigh, but actually I find it easier. Don't have to search around for that 1/3 cup, I always grab the 1/2 or 1/4 first for some reason. With weighing, you can just use the same dish.

I should check out that book. I got my IMBC recipe from his youtube video too. Good recipes.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:42am
post #4 of 6

Rose_N_Crantz, how did you like his yellow cake? I just got his book and read it (yes, I read cook books). I like his baking technique, but am not baking one until next week. I have three new yellow cake recipes to try and I will bake them at the same time. The reviews on this cake are very good in the internet, so what did you think?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:44am
post #5 of 6

By the way, my three recipes to compare are Warren Brown's, Sylvia Weinstock's, and Buddy's with the pastry cream. Any input?

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks. I'm gonna blame it on my old baking powder and the kids who kept distracting me, lol. Most of the recipes I use call for baking soda, so it's been a while since I've replaced my baking powder. It was just for dinner with friends, so not a huge deal. It was very dense but still tasted ok, not very chocolatey though. Thankfully my friends said the frosting made up for it! Chocolate cake with peppermint buttercream frosting, so yummy. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%