Pudding In Cupcakes?

Baking By sccandwbfan Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm by sccandwbfan

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

Do you know if adding pudding mix to cake mix to make cupcakes makes the batter spread more once it crests? I just finished a batch with some earlier comments from the cupcake people here and I thought they were going well, cresting over the top, but then at completion, they were spread out over the lip of the liner. Boo Hoo. I want my cupcakes to have a dome shaped top. icon_sad.gif what am I doing wrong? icon_smile.gif

TIA

Christy

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 5

what temp. are you baking at??

I find that I need to bake at around 375 for cupcakes.........cakes I bake at 325-350 depending on the cake.

Also, cupcake batter needs to be nice and thick for that dome.........when I want domed tops I add the pudding mix and a little less water (think muffin batter......you never bake a flat muffin do ya? Most of them call for 375 or even 400 degrees as the temp. too)

If I want a flat top I add all the water and turn my temp down to 325...nice, even, and flat

sccandwbfan Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 5

Hmmm, I posted another thread earlier and it was suggest that I warm the oven up to 400 degrees and then turn it down to 350 when I put them in. I think I will try your 375 idea the next though.

Thank you.

Christy

sccandwbfan Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 5

I did my second round of cupcakes and they still did the same thing. I think that my ice cream scooper may be larger than most and I might be over filling. icon_sad.gif I had a little less than a scoop and went ahead and put in the liner and it baked up perfectly. Either need a new scooper or to remember not to fill it all the way. icon_smile.gif

thanks again

Christy

sccandwbfan Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

I think I discovered part of my problem: the ice cream scooper I was using was super sized and I didn't realize it. I bought a more normal sized one and will see how that one works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%