Fondant Issues

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 5:53am by kakeladi

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 4

Good Morning, I was hoping someone could help me figure out a few fondant issues I am having.

I make MFF I have never had issues with it until last night. When I started working with it it felt kind of rubbery. I added some powedered sugar and when I put it on the cake it cracked. Next attempt I used corn startch instead and it still cracked. I added some glycerine but that didnt help much either. Any ideas of what I did wrong. I have used it before and actually love it so I am not sure what happened this time.

Also, I have alway been able to get my fondant on and lay flat, the last 2 times I have made a cake I have had large creases, indent type things at the bottom. I can work a few out but then the fondant starts to dry and I have to stop. I can cover them with decorations but not always completely. This has happened with MFF and Fondarific. Any ideas of what I may be doing differently.

Thank you in advance.

3 replies
romansfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romansfamily Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:05am
post #2 of 4

don't know if i can help but i would try adding some solid white shortening maybe it was a little dry???? I am new to this myself but thought i would take a stab at it since no one else has.

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:29am
post #3 of 4

Could be the climate/weather right now. Try the crisco and see if that doesn't get the texture right. I almost always have more luck with shortening than with powder.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:53am
post #4 of 4

How do you roll it out? On powdered sugar table? Cornstarch? It soulnds like it has too much ps; try working in some Crisco and lightly coat the rolling surface w/it, then take a paper towel and wipe it off so there is just a slick table to roll it on.
I only made MMF a time or two. I have read of many having simular problems = almost never the same twice. Sounds like the recipe is very unstable. I'm guessing it has to do w/the commercially made mm varying from pkg to pkg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%