What Size Tiers For 50 Servings For 1St B-Day

Decorating By Mfattore Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm by Mfattore

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:47am
post #1 of 6

We picked a 2 tier design and now I am having trouble selecting the right sizes for 50 servings. Would an 8 and 10 inch round look funny? I have 3"deep pans if that makes a difference. I own pans in 6,8,10,12. This is for a friend and I am not opposed to buying different sizes but would like to work with what I have. Thanks, you guys are great!

5 replies
LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:03am
post #2 of 6

I don't think it would look funny - I've done a few cakes with a 10inch & 8 inch.

I think it all depends on the design and whether or not you want a larger surface inbetween the layers. A 10 & an 8 will give you 45 servings. You could also do a 12 & an 8 (gives you 60 servings).

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:05am
post #3 of 6

the 6/10 would be fine. I did a cake using those pans. If you're stacking then you could flip your pans over and just stack the 6" on the 10" and see if you like what it looks like. If you thinks it looks off, do an 8/10 but you'll have about 12 extra pieces. However, I think having the 2"edge gives you a nice area for decorating.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:06am
post #4 of 6
LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:12am
post #5 of 6

I personally like to use the following for my "party" size servings - it's more realistic for how my customers will cut their serving sizes and explain this to them up front.

[http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm][/url]

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! I was going with the wilton chart, then I saw Earlene's....thus my issue. I like the look of the 6" and 10" but I think I might go with the 8" and 12" just to be safe. I am a guest at the party so I will cut the cake myself just to be sure everyone gets plenty. Thank you all so much for you input, I don't know any cakers even hobbyists in my area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%