Business Cards On Cake Table????

Business By vwolf Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 2:16am by tokazodo

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone do this? I did a wedding cake recently for a co-workers daughter. She said everyone at the reception raved about how good the cake was and she has had several people ask about who made the cake. She wanted to know why I didn't leave some of my business cards on the cake table at the reception. I just didn't know if it is appropriate to leave your business cards on the cake table. Any opinions?

10 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:58am
post #2 of 11

My personal opinion is not to leave cards at a wedding. It just seems inappropriate. Those who are really interested can locate the baker/decorator through the bride or groom's family.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #3 of 11

I never leave cards for weddings, I don't feel its appropriate but that's just me. I always leave extra cards with the host of bday parties, baby showers etc. Never on the table but rather just hand them to the host, he/she can give them out if someone request.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:19am
post #4 of 11

I always leave some with the event planner or the person in charge of the room. I agree with it not being professional if you leave them on the cake table.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:20am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I always leave some with the event planner or the person in charge of the room. I agree with it not being professional if you leave them on the cake table.

Yep that too! icon_biggrin.gif

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone! I thought it seemed inappropriate also.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 11

Always give some to someone who will be at the reception (event planner, head server). I will also give some to the DJ if they are already there. MANY times they will overhear the compliments and business card requests.

I wouldn't leave them on the table unless someone specifically asked.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 11

I never leave them either. Its really tacky and unprofessional. I delivered a 50th wedding anniversary cake.. the event planner asked for cards. As I was leaving she had taken them and scattered on the side of the cake table. I did sent my client an email to apologize and let her know that it wasn't ME who scattered them out. Thank goodness she thought it was a wonderful idea since everyone loved the cake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 11

The most I've done is if there is a cupcake stand or something, I'll slip a few under the stand, out of sight. That way when they are cleaning up, the last few people in the room can grab one. I also give a few out to the staff while I'm setting up. But I never leave them on the table in plain sight. One time a staff member even told me I could and I was like "Nah..." and then I just gave a few to that person.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 11

Something related to this was mentioned in an other thread about cake cutting. For some bakers that stay and cut the cake during the reception, they will keep lots of cards in their pockets because they say that's when they get the most requests for cards, when they are cutting up the cake.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:16am
post #11 of 11

I think leaving business cards where the wedding cake is set up is just plain cheezy! icon_biggrin.gif

But that's just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%