Kid Friendly Icing

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm by ponderiffic

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:23am
post #1 of 16

I'm making a chocolate cake for a friend's son. She said any icing would be fine. I love chocolate buttercream, but fear chocolate on chocolate might be too much (covered in fondant as well). So, I was wondering, what other icings are there that are kid-friendly? I don't know for sure, but I feel like plain vanilla bc might not appeal to a child. Am I wrong? Any suggestions? I know it's sugar, kids love sugar, but I want something that makes the kid say, "Mom, she has to make all of my cakes!"

15 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:32am
post #2 of 16

Kids love all icing! And kids LOVE fondant!!!! So I wouldn't worry about that at all! Maybe white icing will look nice with the chocolate cake...or even a colored icing to make it look interesting when cut?

JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:43am
post #3 of 16

so Kitagrl, are you suggesting plain buttercream or some other type of icing?

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Kids love all icing! And kids LOVE fondant!!!! So I wouldn't worry about that at all! Maybe white icing will look nice with the chocolate cake...or even a colored icing to make it look interesting when cut?

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

khemerso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khemerso Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:28am
post #5 of 16

Maybe you could do white chocolate BC that you color? My son likes the white chocolate BC and I think all kids would like something that was a fun color.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:50am
post #6 of 16

I vote for p-nut butter buttercream, don't all kids love p-nut butter?

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:22am
post #7 of 16

I just made Indydeb's buttercream yesterday and flavored it with pureed strawberries to put in a vanilla cake for a kid's birthday.....with chocolate I would do raspberry....yum.

JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:58am
post #8 of 16

khemerso, do you have a certain white chocolate bc that you use?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 16

I would just use plain vanilla BC. I've never seen a kid turn down icing of any kind.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 16

To a kid, all they know is that it makes them "so happy" (in the words of my grandson). I'm sure whatever you choose will be fine. But typically, I don't think the kids are going to do much advertising for you...they really don't care that much at the time. Now when his birthday comes again he may say, hey mom, I really liked that cake last year, can we have that again.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 16

Yup.....I don't know a kids yet who doesn't eat the icing and leave the cake so I wouldn't worry about it!!! They will like whatever you make!

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelle

I vote for p-nut butter buttercream, don't all kids love p-nut butter?

No, not P-nut butter.....a lot of kids are allergic to nuts. Any other frosting will do.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 16

I agree...not peanut butter, you never know who has allergies.
And yes......most kids love all icing. I would say the vanilla buttercream, with chocolate cake would be great! But then again, I too love the chocolate buttercream!

ameliasam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameliasam Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 16

When I make a chocolate cake for some of my friends kids they love BC with cherry flavor. They say it taste like a chocolate cover cherry. It is a big hit with the kids thumbs_up.gif

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:52pm
post #15 of 16

Are you kidding me??? LOL. It's cake and icing what kid wouldn't like it?? I personally prefer vanilla buttercream with chocolate cake. To me that tastes like the little debbies. icon_smile.gif

ponderiffic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponderiffic Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 16

What does the Mom want?

They'll love whatever you make but if you want it to be different and special try root beer. Flavor your favorite buttercream with root beer extract. Chocolate and root beer work, I promise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%