Chocolate Dancing Silouettes

Sugar Work By tal Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 2:41am by tal

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a disco cake and have seen so many of the same dancing silouettes made from chocolate.

There are apparently no "cutters" per say for these silouettes, so how can I make them myself? I'd like to have them standing up on the cake???

Thank you,

Lisa L

3 replies
Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 4

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1843166

I found random images online, printed them in the size I wanted on card stock paper and cut them out precisely. Then I just placed my cut-outs on top of my black fondant and used my exacto knife to trim. HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 4

First, find some dancing silhouette images on Google. (Google is great for images.) Print them out on regular paper. Get some black gumpaste, roll it out to a 2 or 3 in your pasta machine. Let it rest for a little bit to firm up and dry some. Lay the paper over the gumpaste and use a *new* x-acto blade to cut the images and and go through the gumpaste too. Leave a point on the foot portion of the figure, about an inch or so, to have something to stick into the cake.
Lay the gumpaste images on some foam to dry, at least overnight. I use some firm cushion foam I bought at a fabric store. I live in a very humid climate, so I like to give things 2 days to dry. The foam lets it dry on both sides without putting marks on the silhouette.
We did a Hollywood themed Sweet 16 with black standing dancing silhouettes. The girl loved it!
HTH

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:41am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for all the advice......I'll give it a whirl!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%