Clean Bottom Edge On Fondant

Decorating By CVB Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 2:01am by simplysouthern

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,

Does anyone have tips to make a clean enough edge on a fondant covered cake so that you don't need a ribbon? I heard about a method that you mix fondant and water to make a paste but all I did was make a big mess on my cake.

Thanks
Jennifer

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 8

Cut the cake board to the exact size of your cake. Put a nice layer of buttercream on the cake and stick it in the fridge to firm up. When it's nice and firm, set the cake on something smaller than the board it's sitting on...a crisco can, coffee can, smaller cake pan, etc...so that it's a couple inches above the counter. When you put the fondant on the cake, it will hang past the bottom edge. Gently open out any pleats that form, and trim any really long excess hanging down, so it doesn't rip. Then smooth the fondant and trim around the bottom edge, just below the cake board, with kitchen scissors. Put the cake on a larger, decorated board and you're done icon_biggrin.gif

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 8

Pretty much what Texas suggested. I do it a wee bit different though. I don't use pizza cutters or scissors, I use my fingers. I gently push the fondant against the very outer edge of the bottom of the cake, so it almost tucks under (of course, this elevated like Texas said, or you can't physically get your fingers under it), and keep doing it until the fondant breaks away and falls off. Turn cake around and smooth with your fingertips until it's perfect smooth, even with bottom of cake, and nothing showing.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 8

my biggest problem was always not having enough fondant. it's so much easier when i have too much rather than too little. when you have enough, it's easier to stretch and conform the fondant down the sides all the way to the bottom without having to fix pleats or bunches. ditto to the other suggestions.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:18am
post #5 of 8

I saw it off with a very sharp, non-serated knife. Edges are perfect and don't need to be covered. I do run my finger around it to round the rdge.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:36am
post #6 of 8

Run a pizza-cutter around the base to cut off the excess rolled fondant ..

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:45am
post #7 of 8

I use a pizza cutter and then take a dry small paint brush and run it along the bottom the gently tuck it under the board. This is on a flat surface so it's not much of a tuck just enough to make a nicer seam. Also I use the fondant mixed with water only to patch mistakes at the bottom. Good luck.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:01am
post #8 of 8

I use a pastry wheel cutter and pretty much the same techniques already posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%