Low Sugar Cakes For A 1St Birthday

Baking By LyndaOlsen Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 5:17am by donnlara

LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:32am
post #1 of 3

I am in need of some cake recipes that have a minimal or no sugar (not diabetic, sugar substitute). Its for my grandsons first birthday and my son and his wife wants a healthy birthday cake (as if there is such a thing).

I have tried a couple of mixes from the health food store and the texture and taste was AWFUL! . I'm trying a carrot cake, with applesauce and raisins next and if that doesn't work Im to the point of telling my son, that if they want healthy then they're going to have to make the cake and frosting. Im more than happy to decorate the cupcakes but I wont serve their guests anything I know is disgusting.

2 replies
tracy394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy394 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:55am
post #2 of 3

Babys First Cake
What better way to celebrate the close of a year of feedings, late nights, and precious parenting moments than by incorporating babys favorite food into a cake everyone will enjoy? You can use any sweet baby food in this recipe.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 12
1 18.25-ounce box moist yellow cake mix
½ cup white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 4-ounce jar apricot baby food
1 4-ounce jar plum baby food
1 16-ounce tub prepared frosting

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan. Set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients except frosting in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on medium speed until a smooth batter forms.
3. Pour cake mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.
4. Tip pan onto serving plate and allow gravity to let cake drop. Frost with desired frosting.
Decorating Babys Cake
It may be tempting to paint up this cake with frosting roses or other elaborate decorations, but remember, baby is going to eat this cakeand the sugar can be just too much. Consider using less frosting or even substituting whipped cream for frosting. The cake will be yummy, and little par-tiers will stay happier longer.

This is from the book " the everything cake mix book" by Sarah Sawyer

donnlara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnlara Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:17am
post #3 of 3

I've used a few recipes that use applesauce to cut down on the sugar, and that has gone over pretty well. I don't know if that qualifies as "healthy", but definitely is lower sugar. Did that with my own son when he turned 1...he didn't eat it (he still doesn't eat cake 4 years later), but the guests were happy with how it came out, I think because it was pretty moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%