Edible Image, Fondant, & Cutting Them Out

Decorating By kerik Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 9:58pm by icingimages

kerik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerik Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:34am
post #1 of 13

I've never used an edible image/transfer sheet but my daughter fell in love with the Duff's animal print tattoos & wants that design for her party. I'm planning on doing cupcakes with fondant toppers but wondering if I adhere the whole strip on the fondant can I cut through it with the circle cookie cutter all in one motion?

Thanks in advance!

12 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:49am
post #2 of 13

you mean through the paper? I dont think so

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #3 of 13

No, it's my experience that the cookie cutter will not be sharp enough to cut through the edible paper. Use a sharp exacto knife.

kerik Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 13

What about a scrapbook punch? Thanks.

Price Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 13

I would just give it a try to see what happens. I think you should be able to cut the edible paper with the punch and then attach that to your fondant.

lyndya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndya Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 13

I actually did use a round cutter to make cupcake toppers, and it made a clean cut thru the edible paper

lyndya Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 13

P.S., I did attach the edible image to the fondant first, then used the cutter.

Price Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I actually did use a round cutter to make cupcake toppers, and it made a clean cut thru the edible paper

Who do you get your edible paper from? I have not really been happy with the paper I have. It doesn't seem to melt into the buttercream like I would like it to.

lyndya Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 13

Actually it was my first experience with edible images. I printed a corporate label and took it to my grocer bakery to print-was very happy with how it copied, and how it adhered to the fondant, just brushed on a little vodka to make it stick.

Price Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 13

The paper I have is fine for attaching to fondant, but if I want to place an image on Butter cream it doesn't seem to melt in like it should. I always dampen my bc but it doesn't seem to help. I was wondering if there are different papers that might be better. I have been getting mine from KopyKake.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 13

If the cookie cutter is good and sharp, it will go through. I usually use an exacto knife and it works well. If the icing sheet is not adhereing, generally you need more moisture. Vodka or water work fine. If you need to manipulate the image on the fondant, then use crisco. It doesnt absorb in as well and allows you to slide it around as needed. It will eventually connect solidly though

kerik Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone! One final question. How far in advance can they be made (specifically on fondant cupcake toppers) without therebeing an issue with colors bleeding or smearing?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 13

Depending on the manufacturer of your product, you just need to keep them out of direct light until they are ready and you should be fine...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%