Things U Need...

Business By bellaudreycakes Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 1:02pm by VanillaCoke

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:30am
post #1 of 9

anybody who can tell me what crucial things you need when opening your own cake store? Obviously i will need a commercial oven, but what are some other big must haves when starting out? Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 9

You should probably find out what your states health dept requires. Some require a 3 compartment sink, a commercial dishwasher etc. So we can tell you what we find helpful but none of that will matter if you don't have exacts to pass inspections.

bellaudreycakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:53am
post #3 of 9

ok thanks for the tip!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:52am
post #4 of 9

and... some dont' require a commercial oven. Definitely start with your local HD and dont' forget to check with your local Fire Dept too, they sometimes have additional requirements that aren't always given to you by the HD.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:10am
post #5 of 9

I put money into a professional for my web design. I wanted to make sure of my positioning in several markets. The result was much more professional than I could have done myself. They also saved me money on my credit card program.

Besides the obvious for the health dept, some lifesavers for me are three KA mixers, stainless steel tables, storage shelves and containers, tons of towels and wash cloths, lots of different sized mixing bowls, actually anything that can make your baking life easier.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:51am
post #6 of 9

Speed racks to put finished product on. When you are baking in volume, you have to have someplace to put each pan as it comes out of the oven.

bellaudreycakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 9

thanks so much guys thumbs_up.gif Really hope this happens for me, going to look at a place tomorrow thats for sale that would be perfect for my little cake store!!!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 9

Undercounter Ingredient Bins were my best investment and over the worktable slat wall to hang all my utensils on.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 9

Lots of patience and the ability to go several nights in a row with 3 hours of sleep?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%