Fondant Mat (The .mat)

Decorating By kim_1 Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 3:46am by CiNoRi

kim_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim_1 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 11:34am
post #1 of 22

Iv been on you tube and saw this http://www.caljavaonline.com/fondantmats1.htm this would help me a lot I always struggle with fondant tearing and anything els that goes wrong with fondant always happens to me

Dose anyone know were I can get one in the UK or if you have got one are they any good???

Thanks

21 replies
neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 11:41am
post #2 of 22

I just got one from caljava yesterday, will be using in the next little while.. I know that there are a bunch of people on here that swear by it as its "go to" tool when using fondant..
icon_smile.gif
Jodi

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 11:48am
post #3 of 22

just buy a piece of vinyl from the fabric store, cheaper and you can get any size you need. As far as food safe, I know people will disagree but since the fondant is not on it long enough, it is not a problem. (Everything I read talks about prolonged contact) HTH

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 22

I am sure that I got mine from surbitonart.co.uk, but to be honest I only used it the once, not really that impressed with it - just my opinion though.

kim_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim_1 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 22

yeah pattycakesnj I was considering doing that as well...

mmmmmmmmcake1954 ill buy it of you for a £3 postage included icon_razz.gif lol

I wonder what useing this would be like http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000YJ98AU/?tag=cakecentral-20 with another clear mat on top ...

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 22

That Mat is actually made by Sweetwise and I got mine for 16 bucks from their website......hands down the best purchase to date!!!!!!! It will take you some work to get used to it, my advice is to get a cake dummy and practice! After a few times you'll be as good as the folks in the video!!!

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 22

Thankyou for the very generous offer Kim_1 icon_lol.gif maybe I will try using a mat on the top as well thumbs_up.gif I'll probably end up with the fondant being stuck to both mats icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 22

I also purchased "the mat" from sweetwise. I have had both good and bad experiences with it. Living in Fla. with the humidity truly makes a difference even with central a/c at 74 if it's a humid day I cannot use the top mat on the fondant. We are having a lovely winter here this year (low humidity) and I am able to use it with both top and bottom. You must have a heavy duty rolling pin and be ready for a work out.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 22

Cakesnglass.....I'm in FL too and seriously I think we have the worst weather for caking!!! Summers are so hot that 5 seconds w a cake out of the shop and it starts melting. Humidity is a bear and makes everything stick and tacky. Hope this year is good to you and that mother nature takes it easy on us Floridian Cakers!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 22

I am finally getting the hang of "The Mat" from Sweetwise as well. One you have to use it a few times to get it worked in and too I found when my fondant it was too stiff it was a really big pain to roll it out. I microwaved it for a few seconds, kneaded it and it worked out beautifully.

I love having the 2nd mat on top because it doesn't dry out so fast which for me is a big deal because I'm slow. It also gives me time to prep my cakes etc.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 22

I love My MAT and haven't had not one problem since purchasing it. The first time I used it, I rolled out fondant for my 1st male torso cake. I don't know how I ever got along without it.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_1

yeah pattycakesnj I was considering doing that as well...

mmmmmmmmcake1954 ill buy it of you for a £3 postage included icon_razz.gif lol

I wonder what useing this would be like http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000YJ98AU/?tag=cakecentral-20 with another clear mat on top ...

You could always get the one that cake designers have been using for ages, the Ateco blue silicone mat. It works. And if you ever want to buy a piece of clear vinyl to put on top, that's fine too.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20786&name=Silicone%20Mat%20by%20Ateco%2036x24

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 22

I received the Mat that Sweetwise sells for Christmas and I just used it for the first time today. Boy, I love that one. I am also a new convert to Fondex. icon_smile.gif

Christy

cakinallday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinallday Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 22

I want to get THE MAT too! The video makes putting on fondant look soooo easy. But..... yesterday, I used wax paper (the way the mat would be used) and I put a little shortening on it and it worked great!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:23pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelycharmed

I just got one from caljava yesterday, will be using in the next little while.. I know that there are a bunch of people on here that swear by it as its "go to" tool when using fondant..
icon_smile.gif
Jodi

used it for the first time a couple of days ago... I love it!!!
100% recommend it.
Jodi

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:27am
post #16 of 22

I've used the MAT several times both in high humidity (this summer was a killer here in TN) as well as low and it works perfect as long as you make sure your fondant is soft. It still works if its not but it takes more work. If your fondant is sticking then you need to rub a little more shortening on it and break it in a little more then you shouldn't have any problems with it. I don't know what I would do without my MAT!

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:13pm
post #17 of 22

I purchased my Mat online from Sweetwise and had it shipped to the UK. I wouldn't be without it. No more problems with sticking, cracking or tearing fondant. I did have some issues with "pockmarks" but they brought out another video to help with that problem. They were very helpful when I emailed them with questions.

joejessaustin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joejessaustin Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:22am
post #18 of 22

I just got the "mat" this week and used it for a wedding cake yesterday. I LOVE IT!!! I was amazed at how it worked. I was so nervous about it after reading some reviews of it sticking, but it worked perfectly! I can not say enough good things about the mat. I used Satin Ice and MMF and both worked just like the video. Now I don't mind to work with fondant!

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:27am
post #19 of 22

The only problem I've had is after I've laid the fondant over my cake and I go to smooth it with the paddle, the paddle likes to stick a little. It just dosn't slide as smoothly over the fondant as it does when I've used cornstarch. Anyone else have the same problem or a solution?

Otherwise, I think it's brilliant!

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:17am
post #20 of 22

What if I used the Wilton roll&cut mat, and bought a piece of vinyl to put on top? Although The Mat is inexpensive, I already have the wilton mat :/ How dangerous do you guys think the vinyl is?

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz661

What if I used the Wilton roll&cut mat, and bought a piece of vinyl to put on top? Although The Mat is inexpensive, I already have the wilton mat :/ How dangerous do you guys think the vinyl is?

The Wilton mat is too ridged. I don't think you would have the same results than if using vinyl.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:46am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

The only problem I've had is after I've laid the fondant over my cake and I go to smooth it with the paddle, the paddle likes to stick a little. It just dosn't slide as smoothly over the fondant as it does when I've used cornstarch. Anyone else have the same problem or a solution?

Otherwise, I think it's brilliant!

Yeah, it's normal. I sprinkle (wipe on and tap off extra) a tiny bit of cornstarch on my smoothers. Perfect fix!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%