2 Questions About German Chocolate Cake ...

Baking By xanikesmom Updated 30 Apr 2014 , 9:47pm by MBalaska

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 13

I attempted to make a German Chocolate Cake last night using a WASC version. I have made several versions of WASC and they have all turned out wonderfully and are a dream to work with! The German Chocolate that I made turned out terribly dry to the point where I am going to re-bake tonight (luckily the cake isn\\'t due until Saturday).

Here is what I put in my recipe:

1 box German Chocolate Mix (I used Pillsbury brand)
1 cup + 2 Tbls Cake Flour
1 cup sugar
Dash of Salt
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup buttermilk
3 Whole Eggs
1 Tbls Vanilla Flavoring
1 4 oz Bar Melted Bakers German Sweet Chocolate

One thing that I did differently last night was using cake flour - I had usually used All Purpose before. On the side of the cake flour box it said to use 1 cup + 2 Tbls of cake flour for every 1 cup of All Purpose. However - after the cakes turned out dry, I did some research online and many places said to actually use less if you are using cake flour (like 3/4 cup cake flour to 1 cup of All Purpose).

So - my 2 questions:
(1) Has anyone else done a WASC version of German Chocolate and if so what do you do differently than I did above?
(2) For those who use cake flour - did I put too much in? Is it really the 3/4 cup cake flour per 1 cup All Purpose.

I am going to the store to get new ingredients today and am going to re-bake tonight. Thank goodness I elected to bake ahead and freeze and am not scrambling at the last minute to get this done icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Much!!
Claire

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 13

Is this your own trial or someone else's recipe? If it's yours, why did you add more chocolate to a German Chocolate cake mix?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:17am
post #3 of 13

Can I make a friendly suggestion? Please use the recipe in the inside of the chocolate box. It's the bomb and it's not hard to make!

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 13

OMGosh the recipe in the chocolate box IS to die for, she's right. I made it for my uncle and it is really good and not difficult to make at all!

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:41am
post #5 of 13

The recipe on the bar of German Chocolate is a tried and true recipe, easy and wonderful!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:47am
post #6 of 13

Here's a moist recipe I use.
1 DH German Chocolate Cake Mix
1 15 oz container coconut pecan frosting
1 c. water
1/3 c vegetable oil
3 large eggs
This is from "The Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor" and it is yummy.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:47am
post #7 of 13

What chocolate box?? You are making it sound great - I would like to try it! icon_lol.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 11:12am
post #8 of 13

Inside the German's chocolate box. The green box made by Baker's. That's where the recipe for "German" chocolate originated.

The coconut pecan icing is to die for as well-if it looks runny then just turn it to low and cook it a bit longer, then as it cools it will thicken.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks, I might try this over the weekend! icon_biggrin.gif

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 13

Well, I re-baked last night and this time is was much better!! So good, in fact - the family cleared out all the scraps icon_smile.gif

Here is what I used:

1 DH German Chocolate Mix
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cocoa Powder
1 Cup Sour Cream
1 1/3 Cups Water
1 Tsp Vanilla
4 Whole Eggs

I was able to level and torte the cakes with no prob - it was a beautiful texture.

I had thought about using the recipe on the German Chocolate Bar box - but wasn't sure if it would hold up in a fondant covered cake so I wanted my go-to WASC recipe. I am going to use their recipe for the Coconut Pecan frosting though ... making that tonight! I think my problem was too much cake flour. I decided to just go back to using All Purpose since it has always worked before.

Thanks for the replies!

Claire

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 13

IMHO, I think that cake flour tends to make my cakes turn out dryer than all-purpose flour in any WASC recipe. That's just what I've decided so, I don't use it any longer with a box mix; only when I'm actually baking from scratch. HTH!

prec929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prec929 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 13

I plan to use this recipe to bake a classic German Layer Cake                                                                                                                     1 DH German Chocolate Mix
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cocoa Powder
1 Cup Sour Cream
1 1/3 Cups Water
1 Tsp Vanilla
4 Whole Eggs                                                                                                                                                                                         I want to know can I use Betty Crocker Cake Mix and whole milk instead of water and how much. Thanks! :) 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Inside the German's chocolate box. The green box made by Baker's. That's where the recipe for "German" chocolate originated.

The coconut pecan icing is to die for as well-if it looks runny then just turn it to low and cook it a bit longer, then as it cools it will thicken.

AnnieCahill: I just, last week, cut that box up and taped the recipe to a page and slipped into my recipe notebook to try.  Very happy that you recommend the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%