Modern Looking Cake: Stacking/serving Question

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 10:43am by Coral3

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 6:45am
post #1 of 2

Hello!

This is a new cake just posted, and I LOVE the design...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1911055

I\\'ve been trying to PM the baker but this website won\\'t let me. So if anybody can offer their advice that would be great!

My questions are about the size of the tiers, this cake looks like a 10 inch (4\\" high), an 8\\" (6 inches high) and a 6\\" (4 inches high). Obviously the middle tier has an extra layer, so is there extra support to make sure the center tier doesn\\'t collapse on itself? Is it cut the same? How do you adjust the serving amounts? I don\\'t even know what this technique or stacking is called, is there a name?

Again, I would PM the baker but cakecentral servers keep timing out.

Love this site, but it\\'s broken... A LOT!

Thanks!
Jen

1 reply
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:43am
post #2 of 2

I saw that cake when it was posted the other day and loved it - the painting especially is gorgeous! (What I wouldn't give to be able to paint on cake without it looking like I let my 4yo do it LOL)

I don't know about your question though...looking at it I just assumed the middle tier was constructed so it was taller but that the supports would essentially be the same as for any tiered cake. As for serving, I don't know that either. What do others who make extended tier cakes do? I know I saw a tutorial somewhere on flickr where the extended tier was actually two cakes on two separate boards stacked and then covered in fondant, which you'd split up for serving - but that cake kind of looks like it wouldn't be a double tier as such, more of a 1 & a half tier if that makes sense.

I'm interested to hear other's answers to your question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%