Marshmallows In Australia!

Decorating By Setty Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 11:52am by auzzi

Setty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Setty Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

Hoping you might be able to give me a helping hand. I tried making some MMF last night and followed everything down to the letter but the fondant was ridiculously soft even after I had added all of the icing sugar. It occurred to me that the marshmallows I used (Pascall brand - delicious and always available in Oz) might be too soft. There are VERY squishy and I wasn't able to get mini marshmallows that all the recipes call for so didn't have an alternative.
I'm just wondering how firm the marshmallows you all use are? I think I can get a different kind that are firmer and I'm hoping that will make a difference. It's for my daughter 2nd birthday cake and I'm doing a 3D cow which will look better covered in fondant but I'd rather use something that people are more likely to eat.
Cheers for your input!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 12:18am
post #2 of 5

I use to make my own MMF, however, I use Fondx now - less messy and time consuming icon_wink.gif My MMF use to come up trumps when I used a particular brand found in Woolworths - I can't recall the name, however, they came in a larger packet than the Pascal brand and are white and pink in colour (the pink is a vibrant sickly colour).. they are bigger and more tubelour in shape.. and they differ in texture when compared to Pascal. The pink is a nice strawberry flavour, but I use to seperate the white from the pink so as I could colour the fondant. Do you just add the marshies in a microwave container with a tbls of water, then add to icing sugar?

Setty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Setty Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:17am
post #3 of 5

Yes - marshmallows and water in the microwave then incorporate the sugar. I used shortening too so that it didn\\'t stick to my hands etc. Bought some black and gold ones today so will see how they turn out. Will have to look for those others ones in Woolies next time.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:44am
post #4 of 5

Coles supermarkets sell the mini marshmellows in the cooking aisle with the essences and all that kind of baking goods icon_smile.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:52am
post #5 of 5

What recipe are you using?
500g Marshmallows
1 tsp Clear Vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
30 ml water [1 1/2 tb]
1 kg icing sugar

Are you taking into account the current humidity ? You will need more sugar ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%