Glace Questions

Baking By jdelectables Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm by au_decorator_76

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 9

Hello, all~

I have been practicing on sugar cookies with glace icing. Originally, I used rolled buttercream but do not like the heavy texture of the rbc.
What is the best consistency for outlining and flooding? I thought I had this figured out and then did cookies today and the icing was running off the cookies, even with an outline (same consistency). Any hints, suggestions, ideas? THANK YOU

8 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 9

you'll probably need to play with it some, and see what works for you...

I was strictly at RI user and a few months ago I experimented with glace. Even with those similar icing types, the consistency of the two is different enough that I have to rethink/change my mindset when I'm using glace so that it is thick enough that it doesn't run off, but not too difficult to squeeze through the piping bag.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 1:04am
post #3 of 9

I found that the 10-second rule works for glace. When you drag your spatula through the icing in a bowl, it should take ten seconds, not more and not less, until it settles and it\\'s flat again. If it takes longer, it\\'s too stiff and won\\'t dry smooth and if it takes shorter, it\\'s too runny and will run off the cookie. I use this consistency for outlining and flooding. I outline a few cookies, then go back to flood.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 1:27am
post #4 of 9

On the Wilton website and in the yearbook the recipe for colorflow works beautifully on cookies follow the 10 second rule.
Take your time.
I also use rolled fondant and my airbrush and stencils to decorate cookies.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:10am
post #5 of 9

I really liked the taste and consistency of glace but it got cloudy after a few hours. I didn\\'t like that.

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 9

[quote=\\"au_decorator_76\\"]I really liked the taste and consistency of glace but it got cloudy after a few hours. I didn\\\\\\'t like that.[/quote]

I\\'ve seen on here that if you at several drops of white coloring to the glace, it won\\'t get cloudy.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 9

another cause of the cloudy/spotting is the cold weather. Apparently glace does not like it to be cold while it\\'s drying.

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, and WAR EAGLE au_decorator_76!!

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 9

I will try the white coloring! thanks. icon_smile.gif

WAR EAGLE!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%