Cake Muggle Of The Month (Or Maybe The Year)

Decorating By Cakechick123 Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 8:40pm by Cakechick123

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 17

I get a phone call at 7am this morning, I normally dont answer the phone that early, but it sort of looked like a familiar number so I thought it was one of the family. the conversation went as follows

her: are you the lady making wedding cakes?
Me: yes, is there anything I can help you with
Her: do you have ready made cakes (at this stage the flashing lights went on, thinking they are looking for a cake for Saturday at this late stage)
ME: no, I dont
Her: well how long does it take you to make a wedding cake
ME: a couple of days, when do you need it for? (thinking, Im sure she is going to say Saturday icon_smile.gif )
So then there is this loooong silcence
Her: THIS AFTERNOON, I suppose its a little short notice icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif , but can you do it?
Me: no sorry not possible
Her: well the bride needs a cake, can you recommend someone who can actually do it
(I can virtually hear her thinking, but Cakeboss do two cakes in half an hour, so obviously your a crappy baker)
Me: sorry, but the people I know all do custom designed work, and they dont have cakes in the fridge to pull out and decorate
Her: well do you think a real bakery can help me? ( because obviously Im not one)
Me: Im not sure, but I supposed it worth a try
Her: well give me the names and numbers of a few real bakeries in P...
(not even the city where I live icon_smile.gif ) had a great mind to tell her Im not the phone directory, but just politly told her I dont know that city at all so cant help her lol, wonder if the bride finally got a cake from a real baker icon_evil.gif

16 replies
lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 17

What? Seriously? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I'm impressed you could reply so politely. At that time of the day I'd have called her something very rude tapedshut.gif
Does she next call a dressmaker asking if she can make a wedding dress in a matter of hours??

Some people icon_cry.gif

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 17

BLECH!!!!

I'm going to go over to my kitchen now and pull out my fake pans, whip up some fake batter, and stick it in my fake oven so I can make the one of the four fake cakes I'm making today.

Since I'm not a real baker either.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

BLECH!!!!

I'm going to go over to my kitchen now and pull out my fake pans, whip up some fake batter, and stick it in my fake oven so I can make the one of the four fake cakes I'm making today.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif My stomach hurts from laughing.....stop it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 17

Ewwww. I am angry for you. Wake me up to insult me? NO THANK YOU!

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 17

Maybe it's a shot-gun wedding? hahahah!

TattooMom25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TattooMom25 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 17

Has she never visited the grocery store? surely she sees they have (stale) cakes just sitting on their shelves waiting for her?

Cakechick123 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:

BLECH!!!!

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif well said, I was thinking of those cartoon shows where the eggs and flour goesinto the ove and the fulle decorated cake marches out icon_smile.gif Im sure you have one of those ovens icon_lol.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 17

Some people just don't have a clue. It could be the original cake person pulled out last minute or had some emergency and couldn't do it.

There's always the Wal-Mart option! Have a picture of the wedding cake on a table and have wal-mart sheet cakes in the back to serve! LOL!

I think a bakery would have been the first call for them, but maybe you were referred to them, which is great. You would have been the hero of the day if you could have pulled that one off, but boy almighty, I would have charged them triple price for so last minute! Maybe more.

Wonder how many people it needed to serve...

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 17

That reminds me of my most recent eye-roller phone inquiry lately. Two weeks before Christmas, I got a call asking if I could do a hippopotomus shaped cake. I thought it through, came up with some quick ideas in my head as to how I would bake the cake to carve a hippo shape, and then told him, 'Yes, I could pull that off. When were you wanting the cake for?" whipping out my appointment book and pen and taking a look at coming weeks.
"I need it this afternoon."

Uuuummm. Sorry. Nope.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 17

just WOW!!!!! ....I don't even know what to say about that. O.O

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 17

You are a better woman than me.....I'd told her where that poor planning on her part doesn't constitute a rush on my part. Or I would have told her where to go and how to get there and she could stop by Wal Mart on the way.

Cakechick123 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

There's always the Wal-Mart option! Have a picture of the wedding cake on a table and have wal-mart sheet cakes in the back to serve! LOL!

I live in South Africa, no Wall-Marts for us icon_smile.gif and even the supermarkets around here requires 7 days notice, and then you get cardboard cake decorated with big star tip swirls icon_smile.gif
Maybe she could get some cupcakes icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

You would have been the hero of the day if you could have pulled that one off, but boy almighty, I would have charged them triple price for so last minute! Maybe more.

Wonder how many people it needed to serve...

No thanks, tomorrow is the start of the school year for us, I had a million things to do and cakes were not one of them icon_smile.gif, so not even for tripple ... and in any case the brides getting married on Tuesdays are normally strictly budget brides

Cakechick123 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

That reminds me of my most recent eye-roller phone inquiry lately. Two weeks before Christmas, I got a call asking if I could do a hippopotomus shaped cake. I thought it through, came up with some quick ideas in my head as to how I would bake the cake to carve a hippo shape, and then told him, 'Yes, I could pull that off. When were you wanting the cake for?" whipping out my appointment book and pen and taking a look at coming weeks.
"I need it this afternoon."

Uuuummm. Sorry. Nope.

OMW that is as bad as my story... customers seem to think we just pull cakes out of thin air icon_cry.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 17

lol, wow that lady has got some nerve...I can't believe how she re-assigned your role as her directory assistance secretary when you couldn't be her on-the-fly cake lady.
I used to work at a grocery store bakery and we would get the most insane calls ever, like: how do you roast a turkey?, how do I get my cake unstuck from this pan?, can I buy a hairnet from you? I don't like your cakes, so can you tell me where I can find cakes that are not like yours?(seriously, did get that phone call once!)
We've done a few last-minute wedding cakes but even then "last minute" was at least three days notice!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 17

Sometimes there are scams out there like this. They usually are email form but Ive heard of cold calling too. They want a wedding cake inan insane amount of time and then they want it shipped,etc. I wouldnt worry about this one too much. Im sure that if it was a true order she propably new that she couldnt get one in one day. If she had a problem with their first baker for some reason Im sure the venue would of told them to go to a wholesale places like Sams club or a grocery store and get cupcakes or something instead. If a red light goes off in your head it means that you need to watch yourself. If it doesnt sound kosher it usually isnt!!

Cakechick123 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:40pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

What? Seriously? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Does she next call a dressmaker asking if she can make a wedding dress in a matter of hours??

Some people icon_cry.gif

but we all know that dresses takes a looong time to make, she just needs a cake, dont you know that grandma can bake one in like half an hour??? After all its just a cake icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well its almost 11pm here, so Im off to bed, thanks to everyone that read my story and rolled their eyes along with me icon_rolleyes.gif
Its so good to share our tales with people that can understand!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%