Maternity Leave

Decorating By CakesbyMichele Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 1:04pm by leily

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 11

For all those cake decorators who had babies, how soon did you start back to decorating after having the baby?

10 replies
neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 11

Hi,
I went back at cakes around the 6month mark.. Up until then, I had absolutely no desire to go back to cakes. I had my son (first and only) and I just wanted to stay and do nothing with him.. icon_smile.gif

I have my own cake business at home, so it was great not having to leave the house, and I started to miss making cakes.

I'm guessing you just had a baby or are just about to??? Hope you had/having a great pregnancy.
icon_smile.gif
Jodi

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 11

With my second daughter I took 4 months. My husband had just joined SWAT and was traveling a lot and doing a ton of night work or I would've started back sooner lol. I missed caking and when I started back it really became my mommy time and creative outlet. I work out of my churches kitchen so I would pop my little one in the daycare there for a few hours a day when I had orders and always felt soooooo refreshed when it was time to pick her up and be mom again. I'm currently pregnant with our 3rd.....girl LOL. I plan on taking the same time frwme to let me body heal and have that time with my newest baby girly.

By the way.....its my firm belief that babies that grow up baking and sniffing vanilla make Amazing kids icon_smile.gif my 7 year old can make some delicious cakes and my 2 year old well she is one of my best taste testers lol

Goodluck and Congrats!!!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 11

I stopped about 6 weeks before my due date and started back when he was about 5 months. For me... it is harder now (he is 10.5 months) than it was when he was 5 months!

simplysouthern Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 11

Oh I didn't start maternity leave until literally the doctor said "well looks like you're having a baby today". I had gone in for a routine check up and still had 2 weeks to go. I had a cake for the next day, went home finished it and called the client and told her she would have to pick it up and sorry for not delivering but I was on my way to have a baby LOL She came to see us the next week and brought a gift.....a onesie with a cupcake on the front......sweetest thing ever!!

Point being......follow advice above and stop taking orders a few weeks prior due date Hahaha

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 11

I have decided to close about 6 weeks before my due date, and I left the re-open date as TBD. That way, I can open back up when I am ready, and feel comfortable. I am, however, doing a tasting for a cake that would be due about 6 months after baby is born. I assume I will only close a couple of months.

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 11

i work from out of home and i was planning on caking until about 1 month before birth... BUT that didnt happen... i had to stop 9 WEEKS after i got pregnant because im high risk and had to have a cervical stitch put in. I cancelled everyone icon_sad.gif good thing because ive had nurmouse problems which have put me in bed. Then i ended up in the hospital at 29 weeks until 33 weeks as baby was trying to escape, then i got sent home on strict bed rest.... Ive made it to 34 weeks so far and shes still in my belly but i really miss making cakes. I plan on taking 2 months off after shes born and then taking 1 or 2 cakes a week after that to start off slow and see how things work and how im able to make cakes and be a mom at the same time!

simplysouthern Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 11

Sweetstuff30 - I admire your determination and strength!! I was on bed rest w my first for only 2 months, I have no idea how you've done it the whole pregnancy!! I've been told no caking for 7-10 days and I'm not loving it, this 3rd baby girl is very unhappy w me being on my feet so much icon_sad.gif
Goodluck and best wishes on a happy and healthy baby!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 11

Do you ladies only "cake" during naptime, nights and weekends? Just wondering if any of you have sitters or use daycare.... or have some other solution to get more time to finish your cakes.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

Do you ladies only "cake" during naptime, nights and weekends? Just wondering if any of you have sitters or use daycare.... or have some other solution to get more time to finish your cakes.

For me, nights, weekends, and early mornings, before the kids get up.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 11

here is another topic that is similiar that was posted this last week. Hope you can get some more ideas about what others did.

As i posted there, i took off time before and time after. I also got back into it slowly.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=706522&highlight=preclampsia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%