Newbie Q: Refrigeration: Fondant, Buttercream And Fillings?

Baking By SandraDoll Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 11:08pm by Saluna

SandraDoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDoll Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

Noob alert, here icon_smile.gif I have done cakes before and have done my homework on what I want to do, however, I am wondering how it will all work together!

I am making cupcakes for my daughter's birthday party.

They will be decorated some with buttercream under MMF fondant, and some with just buttercream.

All cupcakes will have decorations of blossoms and butterflies, well dried, made of MMF with Tylo powder mixed in to make them dry hard.

Here is my question.. I want to fill the cupcakes with either a mousse or a pudding. Since these both have dairy, I assume the cupcakes will need to be refrigerated as I plan to make them the day before the party. However.. I have read tidbits here and there (where, I don't remember, or I would go look it up!) saying that you shouldn't refrigerate fondant or buttercream (don't remember which) or issues with the hardened decorations softening from being on the buttercream.

Help? Which, if anything, should not be refrigerated, and does this mean I cannot fill the cupcakes with anything that requires refrigeration if I want to make the cupcakes the day before?

Or, is there a recipe for non-dairy pudding or mousse (that is still TASTY!) that I could use so I wouldn't have to worry about it?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 6

most mousse recipes do need refidgerated. so you would probably need to refridgerate the cupcakes.
the best bet is not to put the hard decorations on until after the cakes are back at room temp, condensaton/ moisture in the fridge can make them wilt.
exposed cake will dry out faster in the fridge, so store them in a box in the fridge. leave to come to room temp in the box to avoid condensation issues that can mess with the icing.
xx

valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 6

I had the same question, and what I have found through the extensive reading is that many decorators DO put fondant covered cakes in the fridge (without decorations though, put those on as the previous person suggested, after the cakes have come to room temp).

Some have suggested to let it come back to complete room temperature and DO NOT TOUCH it, therefore minimizing fingerprints during the sweat process. Others mentioned a brown paper back or box to let it come up to room temp. Almost everyone said to do a test run, because your recipe/environment/humidity/temps will be different from most everyone else.

I tested a fondant covered cupcake refrigerated overnight(because I had extra cupcakes lying around) and I had no issues with the fondant doing anything weird.

SandraDoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDoll Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 6

Hmm that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I won't have time to do the decorations the day of.. gah!

Oh well. I guess I will look into fillings that do not require refrigeration or skip the filling.

Will my decorations be okay left on the buttercream overnight if NOT in the fridge? I might be okay to put the decorations on the buttercream the day of because I can just pop them on - I just really didn't want to be gluing decorations onto fondant that morning, I'd have to get up at 4am! icon_razz.gif

lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 6

it is best to not refrigerate fondant. there is way too much moisture in the fridge. however, if you place your cupcakes in a box with a open container of baking soda and then cover it with a towel you are good to go!! i've done this many times and it works great! it should be just fine overnight.

as far as fillings...things like mousse and pudding require refrigeration. however, fillings like ganache, caramel, and jam work great and you don't need to worry about refrigeration.

hope this helps!

Saluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saluna Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 6

I always put my fondant covered cakes, or cakes with fondant decorations in the fridge... never had a problem. (knock on wood). icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%