Being Filmed While Making A Cake Is Harder Than It Looks!

Decorating By Nancy_TX Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 1:10am by Nancy_TX

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hats off to all of you who have been in the cake challenges - I have no idea how you did it! The local news came out to interview me and filmed me while I working on a cake. I know I'm going to look like a dork! And anyone watching will think I have no idea how to decorate a cake! It's the toybox cake in my photos. I had less than 24 hours notice they were coming, so I really wasn't ready. And there were certain specific things they wanted to see so I had to work out of order from how I normally do things. And do not even ask me what I said - they were interviewing me while I was working and I really couldn't concentrate on both. Finishing the cake after they left seemed like a snap. I can't imagine having to do an entire cake while they were filming you!

5 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't been filmed making a cake but I have done demos -- and just like a demonstration speech -- I just can't talk and work with sugar at the same time! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 6

Plus what if you had to carry all your stuff to a different location to do it. ha!

But I know you did GREAT!!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 6

Congratulations on your tv gig! I am sure it is very distracting to have the camera there and people asking questions while you work. Your cake looks great.

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:52am
post #5 of 6

I just recently did a Cake Challenge. The camera and producer were easily blocked out, so much so that I ran into the camera guy standing behind me a couple of times. I think it's different at Challenge because there's SOOOO much work to do and you have to concentrate so much on what you're doing just to finish. I don't know if I'll look like a dork, the episode hasn't aired yet. icon_smile.gif

I think it would be much harder to do an interview, because you have to focus on what you're doing and what you're saying and what you're demonstrating.

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:10am
post #6 of 6

That is so true K8! At least I was in my own kitchen. But then again, that also meant I had to clean the whole house before they got there!

FEIwannabe - I'm worried enough about how bad a 90 second news spot is going to be! You must be on pins and needles waiting to see how they edit your episode!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%