I Hate Black Fondant

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 6:29pm by CakeCrystals

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:47am
post #1 of 18

So I bought a tub of Satin Ice black fondant a few months ago because I have had no luck making it. I've used it for a few projects and hated it, but earlier I was using it for another cake and I really really hate it icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif. Was thinking maybe it's old or I got a bad batch? It dries really fast, gets super crumbly, has no stretch, I was trying to just wrap a simple border and it just kept falling apart. It also gets a dry gray look once it does set and has almost a cracked look (it's done this from the 1st time I used it). And then because I felt like hitting myself in the face with a hammer, I thought I'd try it in my new Cricut - cuts fine but everything I cut falls apart.

Anyway, is this just a black fondant thing, or did I just get a bad tub? Is there a better brand out there for black besides SI? icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

17 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 5:03am
post #2 of 18

I think it is the color. I have the same problem. What I do is use alot of crisco on my hands as I am working with it, and that helps. It stretches easier that way, and doesn't dry out before you are done working with it. Some people have had a problem with Satin Ice, but I haven't, when I work the Crisco into it.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 8:53am
post #3 of 18

Try Fondariffic or Duff's

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 18

When I need black fondant (or red) I use Duffs now. It is at Michaels, no shipping, and you can use a 40% off coupon on it. I never have had any trouble with it.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 18

I had the exact same problem when I used the satin ice black fondant! I thought it was just me. I ended up using the black MMF that I made instead. It didn't matter how much crisco I added, it still dried out before it was on the cake. I attempted this four times!! The cake wasn't that big at all either.
Glad to know the other brands are better.....I too will give them a try next time I need black.

P.S. Do they all (black fondants) smell that bad too?

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 18

I try to airbrush black whenever I can, but if I have to use it, the Crisco does help. Putting it in the microwave with some Crisco on it seems to help for me too.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:14am
post #7 of 18

oh no! I use black Satin Ice all the time & no problems! Maybe it was a bad batch? Duff's is ok but super soft & stretchy, fine for covering cakes but the separate fondant pieces I made never dried even with the addition of tylose.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:24am
post #8 of 18

I've never had that issue, even when it was so old I threw it away for fear of making a customer sick.

When I'm done I roll it in a ball and rubt a thin coat of shortening around it. Then put it in a heavy duty freezer style ziplock and back into it's airtight container. I've not had that happen with any brand fondant I've done this with including yucky old Wilton.

scp1127 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:25am
post #9 of 18

mbark, you are right about the drying. I only make fondant cakes for free for family. I don't sell them in my business. Since Duff's is the only one available without shipping charges, I just make sure my design works around it. Someone in business would really have a problem.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:09am
post #10 of 18

Thank you all for your feedback - I have a thing against Duff, he rubs me all kinds of wrong, but I did just go Michaels to lookie loo - and bought some of his spray paint, came home, cut a few white pieces and sprayed them with it. I have to say it worked pretty well. But I see that getting expensive real quick... I will try another brand of black fondant and see how that does.

My next big investment is an airbrush, I think icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:09am
post #11 of 18

Ditto tryingcake. I've used SatinIce for years and just have never had the problems that some people report. I always nuke it a bit, grease the counter and have at it.

scp1127 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:46am
post #12 of 18

Duff's is Fondarific, but without the shipping. I liked Fondarific before Duff's name was put on it for Michaels. It also smells the best.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 18

I use SatinIce Black fondant and have never had a problem. It rolled just perfectly especially using "The MAT". No tearing and no cracking problems. Perfect every time.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 18

I just made black for a mickey cake yesterday and was super happy w the outcome. O was nervous bc of all the problems I've heard people have w black. I used MMF mixed w a little gumpaste. Added Wilton black and worked it w gloved hands slathered in crisco. The results were a deep black, no cracking or breaking. I was able to roll it pretty thin and work it easily. Check my mickey cake photos. Color never faded!! I really think the crisco is a life saver!!!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeCrystals

I use SatinIce Black fondant and have never had a problem. It rolled just perfectly especially using "The MAT". No tearing and no cracking problems. Perfect every time.

Looooove my Mat!!!! Used it for the 1st time for a cake Sat and it stole my heart!

CakeCrystals Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:50pm
post #16 of 18

Isn't it wonderful. I use to have fondant problems but since I've had The MAT, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 18

I make my own fondant and have never had any trouble getting deep colors. I also use Americolor Gels so that might have something to do with it.

I just recieved THE MAT for christmas and can't wait to use it on a cake at the end of the month. I'm so excited!

CakeCrystals Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:29pm
post #18 of 18

I know that this is a thread about black fondant, but once you try The MAT, there is no going back to the old way of rolling out fondant. LUV, LUV, LUV The MAT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%