My Rant Of The Day? The Not Getting It's.

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 8:26pm by cakelady2266

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 11

I'm ranting again....about 5 weeks ago I had a bride come out and she brought her "wedding planner" Long story short the bride didn't think it was her job to make any decisions and the wedding planner didn't know how to make a decision. We worked though the mess and they did book me.

About 2 weeks ago the bride calls and says she thinks there will be more guest and wanted to know about making a sculpted grooms cake....I gave her a price she didn't like. She wanted to know about cupcakes and she didn't like the price. So she FINALLY decides she wants the brides cake to serve more. OK so we are going from 75 servings to 100 servings. She wants to know if this will make it be 4 tiers and I tell her no it will still be 3 tiers they will just be bigger around. Oh and by the way she says the date, place and time has changed. I get all the new info and she says wants to get together to pay me before the wedding.

She didn't make the meeting this Monday. When she called I told her I would send her a revised bill with the new balance. She wanted me to text it to her. Did I mention the wedding is Sunday (1/9)? I did and she called Thursday and couldn't understand why the cake price was more than in our meeting. I explained that it cost more because she had increased the number of servings. THIS is what she said.."but I thought the cake wouldn't be bigger it would just feed more" and I said "no, I said your cake wouldn't be taller but it would be larger layers and serve more. She has also ordered cupcakes for an expensive cupcake shop ($3 each) and I ask why she said because mine were too expensive ($2 each).

How is this not a gettable situation?????? WTF?

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 11

You need a clause stating no changes after a certain date before the wedding, without a contract revision at the new price.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I explained that it cost more because she had increased the number of servings. THIS is what she said.."but I thought the cake wouldn't be bigger it would just feed more" and I said "no, I said your cake wouldn't be taller but it would be larger layers and serve more. WTF?

icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif I had to leave the WTF? b/c that is exactly what I thought when I read & re-read that statement. People never cease to amaze me!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 11

Somehow, for a lot of brides, when the ring goes on the finger and the sparkle hits them, they begin losing IQ points.

cakelady2266 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 11

Playingwithsugar, I do have a clause on date and changes which is 3 weeks. I think that's a good time frame. But I don't think some folks would get it if it was written out in 10 foot tall letters.

But dang what gets me is how did she think I was gonna make the cake serve more without making it bigger and costing more. She could have left if the same size and have whoever was cutting it just cut smaller pieces.

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 11

What a dimwit icon_eek.gif

Also, cakes from another source would be a big no-no for me and many other bakers.

Good Luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 11

Some days, I think Luther Driggers really did put something in the water - crushed up stupid pills.

And these are the people who will be leading our world when we're old.

Theres icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:09am
post #8 of 11

I am with birdlady, my contract has a clause that says no other cake, cupcakes or baked goods will be served with my cake. Protects my reputation if they decide to have Aunt Tilly make cupcakes and people think that I am responsible for those too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:20am
post #9 of 11

Sometimes people just make my head hurt.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:22am
post #10 of 11

I have found that we have to put it into "food terms" they can understand.

"So-o-o-o-o-o, if you had a large fry from McDonalds that you were going to split between 2 friends, how do you figure that same size fry will serve 6 friends the same amount of fries, when 4 more show up?"

Or there's the 'ole "ya gotta hit 'em with a brick" theory.

I used to have a cake package that included plates, forks, punch, mints, cups, cake. One bride wanted to order the package for 100 and ".....then can I get just cake for 50?" to serve her 150 expected guests.

I said, "Sure! Just let me know which guests get their cake served on a plate with a fork and their punch in a cup, and which guests get their cake plopped on their hand so they can eat it with their fingers, and get to drink water from the drinking fountain." (not kidding ... this is a REAL conversation that I had.)

Her face fell as she said, "Oh. I see."

Geesh, can you imagine her telling a caterer this? icon_confused.gif "I'd like 100 servings of soup, but only 75 bowls provided." icon_lol.gif

cakelady2266 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 11

As we all know stupid knows no bounds. I did the cake Sunday and I did get paid. But I was more than prepared to load the cake up if she didn't pay up.

Let me tell you the place was blinged out from top to bottom. She had mini cupcakes from Gigi's behind the cake, I wanted to scream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%