Literal Jaw Dropping When Price Quoted- Vent!

Decorating By mbark Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 8:19pm by CakeFaerieK

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:29pm
post #61 of 79

lutie -- you got me laughing! Buy your special cake where you buy your motor oil and fertilizer! Yum!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeFaerieK

Just curious as to how much it would go for somewhere else.... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1910541.html icon_smile.gif

I hope you added for all that hand piping.

Wow--add more for piping??? Time was that piping was expected and unless it was Lambeth there was no additional charge--maybe sometimes for basketweave though.

That's cool though. I like to see piping appreciated for the lovely artful skill that it is. Awesome.

And very pretty cake too.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:42pm
post #63 of 79

Seriously, what is it with these brides? I just had the inquiry from Hades!! She's rude, condescending, says I don't know my business, on and on and on! icon_mad.gif Says other bakeries have lower prices (which when I called the SAME bakeries, I was quoted HIGHER than my base price!) icon_confused.gif It just left a seriously bad taste in my mouth today! icon_evil.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:48pm
post #64 of 79

I personally have to say about all of this is,,,IF THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY, SOMEONE ELSE WILL COME ALONG YOU WAY!! That is the way it should go! Others will pay and it will be WORTH your time! Plus, it's NO fun to try and budget with someone whom seems very questionable or undecisive b/c in the long run,,if you DO end up working out a deal with them, then you will be stressing on the cake even more knowing how that person seems..so that person would be a waste of time spent with. That is just my own opinion.. There are MILLIONS of fish in the sea and %80 will pay the price..so some offers, I think, you otta just let down and say good luck! You are worth soo much more than people think!

Good luck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:06pm
post #65 of 79

Jen'sCreativity here sparked a thought for me.

Hey guys--when we get a cheapy mcCheapykins potential client--thank God!! Take the time like BobWonderBuns did in the 'rude about finances thread' and let them know that the magazine articles are wrong! That the random caker they are looking for who will give it away is someone that should not be preyed upon and not taken advantage of.

Put it out there, professionally and politely.

"Oh yes I get this type of call occasionally--typically the client has been reading wedding articles that have no basis in fact regarding economy wedding cakes and often are disappointed in the end product. Just like everything else in life there's a price for quality. You'll pay for your cake one way or the other. Keep your cake and your wedding sweet--get a professional to do it for you."

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:11pm
post #66 of 79

just got an email that they are passing. that's what I figured.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeFaerieK

Just curious as to how much it would go for somewhere else.... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1910541.html icon_smile.gif

I hope you added for all that hand piping.

Wow--add more for piping??? Time was that piping was expected and unless it was Lambeth there was no additional charge--maybe sometimes for basketweave though.

Yes, as apposed to a cake without all that piping. I'm not talking hundreds of dollars extra.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:18pm
post #68 of 79

I forgot to add an experience I had recently...the bride told me (after her 'check is in the mail' did not arrive) that they decided to "give a DJ $1,000 deposit instead of $650 for my cake. Surely, I would understand that the DJ was more important than the food...could I do it without a deposit?" They got someone in the family to make it for them. (I can hear the gasp when it was to be cake for 200 people)... heard the husband got so drunk he barely made it through the vows... so I am sure he was really able to get up on the dance floor... the bride has since told everyone the DJ was not worth the money and her cake was a disaster.

It may make you feel like you "lost" several hundred dollars, but in the end, you kept your sanity and reputation... that is worth more than the price of a cake!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #69 of 79

I forgot to add an experience I had recently...the bride told me (after her 'check is in the mail' did not arrive) that they decided to "give a DJ $1,000 deposit instead of $650 for my cake. Surely, I would understand that the DJ was more important than the food...could I do it without a deposit?" They got someone in the family to make it for them. (I can hear the gasp when it was to be cake for 200 people)... heard the husband got so drunk he barely made it through the vows... so I am sure he was really able to get up on the dance floor... the bride has since told everyone the DJ was not worth the money and her cake was a disaster.

It may make you feel like you "lost" several hundred dollars, but in the end, you kept your sanity and reputation... that is worth more than the price of a cake!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:45pm
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by damanda

While we are talking about price I made this cake for family and only got 50 dollars for it. So what do you think I could charge for this cake in the future?
Thank you Damanda

Here is the link http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1910533.html

Whoever bought this cake got a really great deal - you basically made it for free!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #71 of 79

I was discussing this topic with my husband today and told him I didn't want to change the way I decorate (mostly fondant and lots of labor) to sell more cakes at a lower price. I would rather wait for the party to come along who can afford my work and appreciate the work that goes into making it.
There was an article today in my local paper about a woman who was gifted a cake made by Carlos Bakery. The cake was a treasure chest on top of a sheet cake. They paid $1500.00 for the cake, they made a trip to NJ last July for a consult and tasting and then went back to NJ to pick up the cake. If Carlos Bakery had delivered to NH it would have been an additional $800.00. Two trips from NH to NJ (at least 12 hours round trip) and paid $1500.00....I could have saved them some money! LOL On a more serious note, the article may actually work in my favor!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #72 of 79

For about 15 years my main focus was wedding and anniversary cakes. People sort of expect to pay more for these type cakes so there wasn't as much sticker shock. But after the caterer/decorator/florist lady who had used me (and I mean pimped) for all those years retired, I was left needing to get my "name" out there, I've only been doing cakes for 21 years. When I was getting pics together to make a website I realized I hadn't taken many pictures of the birthdays, showers and smaller cakes that I had done over the years to use. So during 2010 I did a bunch of showers, birthdays and stuff like that to get so decent pictures. Most of those cakes on my CC page went for about $40 to $65 or so. I became VERY resentful and I hated doing cakes. THEN the s*** hit the fan one day when someone tagged a cake I had done for them on facebook. It said and I quote "Lynn did this cake and she will do anything you want for $40". Like hell I will. After b****ing, p***ing and moaning to all yall I jacked them prices up to be match the competition. I don't care if I get that many birthdays and stuff but I will be paid well for the ones I do.

CakeFaerieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFaerieK Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 10:38pm
post #73 of 79

"I hope you added for all that hand piping."

Nope. I was paid $150 for the whole cake. And it was for a friend's step-daughter. [and I delivered and set it together]

I'm not complaining, exactly. Just wondering how much that cake would go for somewhere OTHER THAN Arknasas! 8}

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:26am
post #74 of 79

I get the "donate your services" one a lot from church too. But I haven't gotten one since May when I had to cancel a week before because I was sentenced to bedrest. I seriously got a call the day I got home from the hosptial asking if I was still going to make it! icon_surprised.gif Uh...I'm on bedrest, the cake doesn't make itself! [/quote]

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:41am
post #75 of 79

I know what you mean. I just opened my retail store about a month ago. I have cupcakes available for pick-up, choc-covered oreos, and cake pops. Then do custom order cakes. Had a woman come in today. On my menu board it says that cupcakes are $20 a dozen and I tell her this too. She wants to order cupcakes for a baby shower. We talk about what she wants and she wants 3 dozen. Ok, then asks for the price. I tell her, "$60 + tax". Her jaw literally drops and she says that's more than I expected. I told you they were $20 a dozen and you wanted 3 dozen. How was the $60 price a surprise?

CakeFaerieK Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 7:17pm
post #76 of 79

I've done cakes for people for free, donations. And they were for a 'good cause' too!
I hear that alot!
I did 3 for an auction to generate money for someone who needed an operation and had no insurance. Well I worked 3 days on those cakes.... one had the sugar-glass beer bottles on it.....[it turned out awesome, I might add]....I did 3 cakes in all.
I called later to see how much the cakes brought. I had my hopes up ...apparently way too high....
[ Because before I had one go for $80 and another for $90 and the $90 cake was taken to another auction that night and brought in over $100 for a cancer house. So it did very well.]
When she finally got back to me she was embarrassed to tell me that all 3 cakes went for $20 EACH !
The excuse was that no one showed up to bid. Well, that's the last time I did freebies for her!

I have a cousin that is a dietician in a nursing home and I've made mistakes and mixed up dates for my cakes and did one too soon....so I take them to her home and the residents get to enjoy my screw ups. The last one I got the date wrong by 2 weeks....and it was a huge 3 tier 'wonky' cake. It was cute and the residents didn't want to cut it but finally gave in and then they were like little kids being so excited about having such a treat. Now, I don't mind doing that!
That is absolute appreciation. Those sweet people are so genuine. And you will get no money but the hugs are wonderful!!!!! icon_cool.gif

tryingcake Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 7:26pm
post #77 of 79

CakeFaerieK - I used to freebie host karaoke in a (phycisical) live-in rehab/nursing center. Mostly older people, but young ones, too. It was awesome. Those people just sang their blessed hearts out... loud and off key... but who cares? Especially this one guy in his mid twenties who was a quad.... I do believe he sang the loudest. I'd hold the mic for him and away he would go, huge smile on his face.

You can't replace that with money.

tryingcake Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 7:27pm
post #78 of 79

CakeFaerieK - I used to freebie host karaoke in a (phycisical) live-in rehab/nursing center. Mostly older people, but young ones, too. It was awesome. Those people just sang their blessed hearts out... loud and off key... but who cares? Especially this one guy in his mid twenties who was a quad.... I do believe he sang the loudest. I'd hold the mic for him and away he would go, huge smile on his face.

CakeFaerieK Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:19pm
post #79 of 79
Quote:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally agree! I just love the smiles and genuine enthusiasm they have. ;}

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%