Trick To Topsy Cutout?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 12:14am by DianeLM

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 8

I made a 5 tier topsy turvy for today...it was stressful haha...anyway I did the tiers cutout method.

When I traced the circles for the cutouts, I am sure I gave a good quarter inch extra to account for fondant. Two of the tiers fit well, but one was tight, and one I had to cut away some fondant to get it to fit. The tight ones I had to put more pressure than I was comfy with to slide it in.

Is there a basic amount that I should know to add to the circle to make sure it will fit snug but perfectly? Just saw a gorgeous gumdrop/lollipop tiered cake today in the photos and her topsy tier fit so perfectly she didn't even need a border to cover it up. I'm curious how????? Maybe I'll write her but still...wondering how you all do it.

Thanks!

7 replies
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 8

(Never mind...the site will not let me click on her name in the photo and send her a message...sigh)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

(Never mind...the site will not let me click on her name in the photo and send her a message...sigh)

If you go to the memberlist and then search for the name of the person you can get to their profile page and send a pm that way.

hth

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 8

how exactly are you cutting your circle out of the cake below?

You say you're using a template, is the template round? and then you're laying it directly on top of the cake (while it's at an angle?) If yes, then you aren't getting a true circle, it will be more of an oval, so two sides will be wide enough, but the other two won't (if looking at it in 1/4"'s)

I don't know how to explain myself better w/o pictures (which i don't have)

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

how exactly are you cutting your circle out of the cake below?

You say you're using a template, is the template round? and then you're laying it directly on top of the cake (while it's at an angle?) If yes, then you aren't getting a true circle, it will be more of an oval, so two sides will be wide enough, but the other two won't (if looking at it in 1/4"'s)

I don't know how to explain myself better w/o pictures (which i don't have)

Well I carved, iced, and chilled the cakes.

Then I traced the base of each tier onto parchment, and then added about a quarter inch to the circle when cutting out.

Then laid the circles onto the correct tiers and cut straight down with a knife to form the cutout, with a flat bottom.....reiced....and then fondant...then after nice and chilled...stacked.

Only one had a comfortable fit...the rest were too snug, one even so snug I had to carve away the base to make it fit. The others that were too snug I was very nervous about using too much pressure to fit in.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 8

I may be totally off base here, but if you start with the top tier, can you trace around it AFTER you've applied the fondant so you have the most accurate measurement? Then, cover the next tier down with fondant and measure around the base of that before cutting the hole, etc..

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I may be totally off base here, but if you start with the top tier, can you trace around it AFTER you've applied the fondant so you have the most accurate measurement? Then, cover the next tier down with fondant and measure around the base of that before cutting the hole, etc..

I guess so...but that seems like it would take a LONG time since everything has to be chilled after its cut, so that I can cover it...so that would double the time for me....

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:14am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I guess so...but that seems like it would take a LONG time since everything has to be chilled after its cut, so that I can cover it...so that would double the time for me....

Well... could you start chilling all the tiers at one time, then take them out as needed to measure and cover?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%