Freezing Cake For Carving

Decorating By wrapped-in-sweetness Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 1:42pm by cakesrock

wrapped-in-sweetness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrapped-in-sweetness Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 3

Until now I have always carved my cake fresh however now have a couple of intricate cakes coming up and would like to try carving them frozen or semi frozen. I'm looking for some advice on the full process i.e. do I buttercream the frozen cake before carving and once I have achieved the required shape do I then let the cake defrost before covering in fondant. If not how far ahead should I make up the cake to allow it to defrost completely? Think I'm probably making the whole thing more complicated than it should be (as usual ) so would be grateful for any help you can give. thanks icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:29am
post #2 of 3
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 3

I prefer to carve frozen or semi frozen - I feel like I have more control. I only take off small bits at once and I use a steak knife - I'd likely lose a digit with a sharper one! Once the cake is carved I fill (no point in filling and carving off the damn). However, if it too dangerous(narrow) to remove and fill after carving, I will do it before, but guesstimate how far in the damn will be....

Then I let it settle (usually overnight) do the crumb coat just before or after the settling, then pop it back in the freezer for 10 mins before I cover in fondant (Sharon Zambito's trick). Works for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%