1.7.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 8:08am by playingwithsugar

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 35

Who's up on this first Friday of the new year?

Whatcha workin' on?

34 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:32am
post #2 of 35

I just got back from a fabulous wedding show. It's officially planning season.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #3 of 35

Tell me more about the show, Leah. I'm just sitting here answering questions, anyway.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #4 of 35

I'm just sitting here too- my DD is hosting her first sleepover- so far, so good!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 35

Hello Leah!

Been a couple of weeks since I could be here on a Friday night. But now this is my slow season and the only thing I'm working on is Demo Cakes for the upcoming Wedding Faires. Added a new one on Thursday in the albums here.

So I'm "off" till the 3rd week of this month then the craziness starts again<G>. Enjoying it. Personal note tho! My youngest daughter is 6 mos pregnant and we get to go see the 3D Ultrasound next week! I'm so excited!

How's it going with you?

Cat

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:45am
post #6 of 35

I just got my spiffy new SugarVeil package today! I'm gonna have fun tomorrow!! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #7 of 35

This wedding show was organized by my wedding networking group. It was held in a ginormous ballroom. We had about 115 vendors. Fabric swagged 32 feet in the air from rig points in the ceiling and then a cascade of fabric falling to the floor. A central lounge area with white leather (pleather I'm sure) furniture and lighted tables and a center floral arrangement reaching 13' high. Crystal tress here and there, walls of crystal beads behind the furniture - it was quite literally breathtaking. We booked 30 returning vendors tonight for next year's show. We require our members to work doing all the job a show promoter would normally pay for, which is why we offer this show at only $295 per vendor. ad about 310 brides pre-registered and another 100 or so walkups.

I introduced the cake push ups and people were just fascinated with them.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #8 of 35

No cakes for me this weekend. DH is in Vegas at the big electronics convention and I'm on my own with the munchkins.

The kids & I hit LegoLand CA yesterday and I found silcone ice cube molds in the shape of Lego bricks and minifigures. I want to play w/using them as fondant molds. icon_lol.gif

I need to start planning/prep work for a 3D Bouncy House for a birthday party next weekend. Any ideas for how to do the columns on the corners w/o ending up with something destined for CakeWrecks? Every google or CC search for pics of bounce houses has examples with rather X-rated corner columns. icon_surprised.gif

Cat--congrats on the new grandbaby. My SiL did the 3D/4D ultrasound with both of my nieces and it was SOOOOO cool to really see their faces before they were born.

Kristy

leah_s Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:00am
post #9 of 35

Wonder,
I'll be interested in hearing about your adventures in Sugarveil Land. It's a cool product.

leah_s Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:03am
post #10 of 35

KJ,
I mold chocolate in those silicone molds. They work great!

KJ62798 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:15am
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

KJ,
I mold chocolate in those silicone molds. They work great!

I'm going to try that too. Whenever I do dipped Oreos I end up with leftover chocolate or candy melts. Pouring it into lego molds for the kids seems a better plan than wasting it.

Kristy

catlharper Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:21am
post #12 of 35

Leah (and anyone else who can help),

I'll be doing my first show this summer (thus the Demo Cakes) and could use advise. I have the photo albums, one for each side of the booth, a digital frame showing photos, will have a couple of posters made up as well as brochures but my biggest question is how many samples to make??? I don't want to run out but also don't want to carry home a whole lotta cake samples either. Any help would be MOST appreciated!

thanx!
Cat

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:25am
post #13 of 35

Leah, that show sounds fabulous. Just like the stuff I see on David Tutera's show. I would have loved to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

DH is in Vegas at the big electronics convention...

Oh, my gosh, I saw that on the news this morning, and darn near died wanting to be there. They showed so much cool stuff that I wish I had, including the 92" diagonal television (it's only 6 grand. now all I need is that big winning lottery ticket!).

Kristy - is he there as a vendor or as a buyer? Is that show open to the general public?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:29am
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Leah (and anyone else who can help),

...but my biggest question is how many samples to make??? I don't want to run out but also don't want to carry home a whole lotta cake samples either....
thanx!
Cat

Did the hosts give you an estimate on attendance?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:39am
post #15 of 35

Sorry..yes, between 500-750. Any other tips would be appreciated too. This is such a huge step for me.<G>

KJ62798 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:42am
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Kristy - is he there as a vendor or as a buyer? Is that show open to the general public?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

He's there as a spectator. It is open to the general public. He & his engineering partner are checking out vendors and gathering ideas.

I'm trying NOT to be jealous that he's off in Vegas and I'm here w/the little peeps.

Kristy

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:48am
post #17 of 35

what is sugarveil?

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:01am
post #18 of 35

Spending time with my grandson tonight icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:09am
post #19 of 35

Sugarveil is like an elastic royal icing for lack of a better term. It's a mix that whips up to something like a meringue and you can make edible lace with the lace mats. You can go to sugarveil .com (take out spaces) for tutorials and such. Every year I buy one big ticket item and this was mine for this year! icon_biggrin.gif (Of course I couldn't wait and ordered it just as the new year began but hey, it's sugar, it's fun!! icon_lol.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:54am
post #20 of 35

Good evening, everyone! Anyone else have a hard time getting in tonight? I hope the sites not going down.

I'm looking for opinions for a 2 tier wedding cake. What looks better, white fondant covered cakes with cream roses or cream fondant with white roses?

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:09am
post #21 of 35

Cream fondant with white roses. There's more contrast.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:11am
post #22 of 35

And yes, I'm having trouble getting the pages to come up tonight, too. It's the only website I'm having trouble with - all the others are coming up fine.

Although I have to admit, the site is especially busy for a Friday night. I'm pleasantly surprised to see as many threads as active as they are.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:14am
post #23 of 35

That was my thought, too. They're using the Willow Tree Promise Topper and it has cream roses around the base so she wants to incorporate that onto the cake.

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:24am
post #24 of 35

I just looked at the topper. Does she want something simple, to go with the delicate nature of the topper?

What about doing a light sponge of cream on the white fondant, almost like a marbling, then giving her the cream roses? White fondant ribbon border.

Or getting the cream pearl dust and painting the edges of the petals and a fondant ribbon with it?

I'm just trying to find ways to bring more contrast into the project while giving her the cream roses she really wants.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:28am
post #25 of 35

I just looked at the topper. Does she want something simple, to go with the delicate nature of the topper?

What about doing a light sponge of cream on the white fondant, almost like a marbling, then giving her the cream roses? White fondant ribbon border.

Or getting the cream pearl dust and painting the edges of the petals and a fondant ribbon with it?

I'm just trying to find ways to bring more contrast into the project while giving her the cream roses she really wants.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:29am
post #26 of 35

Theresa icon_smile.gif

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:42am
post #27 of 35

I'm working on some sugar flowers for a cake due next weekend. My first order of the new year. Yay!

cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:42am
post #28 of 35

Yes, she used the word "simple" but I don't know yet why she used that word. Is it because she is concerned about cost? Is is because that's the style she prefers? I don't know yet, but I plan to find out soon. I do know she prefers rounds over other shapes.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:58am
post #29 of 35

I just finished baking the last of 1000 cupcakes for the Governor's Inaugural Reception tomorrow! I have 20 batches of buttercream ready, 1000 fondant and airbrushed stars cut, and 9 tier cupcake stand decorated and at the Capitol

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:00am
post #30 of 35

I don't think anything but a simply designed cake will go well with that topper. I can't see huge bouquets or stripes with it. Maybe some really soft draping, to go with the girl's dress on the topper.

Did you see the magnolia cake that Lauri (Cake Alchemy) did on Amazing Wedding Cakes? I'm actually thinking of something similar to that, with roses instead of the magnolia. It's in her flower collection at

www.cakealchemy.com

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%