Emergency! I Need A Frosting Recipe That Holds Up In Heat!

Baking By raxxy Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm by raxxy

raxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raxxy Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:49am
post #1 of 13

I've been trying to find a good frosting recipe for the longest while. I live in Jamaica, its very hot here, so I need a frosting that wont melt after 2 hours of being outside. I hate the grainy sugar taste in buttercream, cream cheese frosting tastes good, but it melts too fast. I tried a recipe that said to cook flour with milk to make a paste, then mix that with creamed butter, shortening and sugar... but that melted too. What else can I try? It's urgent! I need to make it tomorrow. Thanks!

12 replies
sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:02am
post #2 of 13

The best buttercream for heat IMO is Indydebi's buttercream. The recipe is here on the site. In the summer when we reach 95* with 90 percent humidity it has held up fine and I can still smooth it. Just my opinion.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 13

I have to agree...tested it up to 107 degrees here in CA last Fourth of July!! LOVE it!

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #4 of 13

I agree, Indydebi's buttercream! It tastes wonderful and stands up well to heat. I used her buttercream as inspiration for a chocolate buttercream that also holds up well to heat. It is in the recipe section too.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:36am
post #5 of 13

I too have to agree, Indydebi's holds up great!!! 115 this past summer and my 4 tier cake sat outside for 30 minutes, absolutely no problems!. Tastes great also!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

raxxy Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:04am
post #6 of 13

Ok, thanks. I'll try it. But can i substitute the dream whip for somethng else? ocan i leave it out completely? dream whip is hard to find here.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:09am
post #7 of 13

I use both Sugarshack's and Edna's recipes with good results. Both of these ladies are from the South, so I would presume it would withstand extreme heat & humidity.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:37am
post #8 of 13

Aren't those all powdered sugar recipes? She said she doesn't like the texture of powdered sugar buttercreams.

Raxxy -

Would you be able to get Whip 'N Ice or Bettercreme where you live? It's a refrigerated product that you whip up. It's non-dairy, and holds up very well in San Diego, CA, heat (at least, that's what Trish from www.cakemaven.com told me). You would have to purchase it from a baking supply store, or Sam's Club, or directly from a bakery in your area.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 13

Wouldn't anything that has be to refrigerated be susceptible (spelling) to heat? Indy's is what I have success with. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions. icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 13

its one thing having an icing thats good in the heat, its another to have it sitting outside for two hours. possibly in the sun as well? not going to happen on a reliable basis. maybe look at changing the instructions to brides - many bakers advise that if its hot out, the cake is kept inside in a cool room, and brough out shortly before cutting.
and it will have to be a traditional shortening based bc, at least for scratch, dont know about store bought, butter just wont hold up, lower melting point. the grainyness may be coming from your powdered sugar, not the recipe, so look at trying a different brand.
perhaps also experiment with ganache, the austrailians seem to rely on it a lot more than bc.
xx

raxxy Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:02am
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone.

Theresa, there is nowhere in Jamaica that sells bettercreme or whip 'n ice. They sound delicious though. I guess buttercream is the most reliable in heat... I guess i'll have to find some way to adjust the graininess and cloying greasy feel... ugh.

@brincess_b, thanks for your suggestion. I'll definitely try the ganache. It wont be suitable for all cakes, but i'll still give it a try.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 13

If you use Indydebi's - Beat your Crisco for 15 minutes - and mix your dream whip with the warm milk/ half n half/ coffee creamer. This will make your buttercream not grainy and very creamy. You will see a huge difference if you whip the Crisco first. thumbs_up.gif

raxxy Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks Karen 421. I'll try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%