Change Is In The Air!

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 32

Back in the fall I had a brief moment where I decided that Id redo my bedroom. Wasnt in a rush, just thought Id wait until some bedding struck my fancy then run with that.

Now it looks like the work to change out my floors may be under way next week and it had been suggested to me that if I wanted to paint anything I should do it before the floors go down. Thankfully the bedrooms will be last, but that still doesnt give me more than a few weeks to make the changes.

Yesterday I decided to look online and I came across a quilt bedroom set that I really liked. Its simply, pretty, and no flowers. Im tired of floral, since thats what I have now, and wanted something that wasnt very busy either.

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?ItemID=1a6dad3&GrpTyp=ENS&catid=77526&deptid=70750&CmCatId=bag|baglookup

I started thinking of what colors would look good in the room with that quilt. No green, have that in the living room. Little tired of blue since thats in another room as well. Pink would probably be pretty, but while I live alone, didnt think I wanted a girly girly room. And Im in the mood for something bold.

Want to guess where I am going with this?

I decided the bold color of choice with was red. Yep red! I want to paint my bedroom red. Okay, let me take that back and reword it. I want to paint one wall, the one solid wall in the room red. The other three wall will be some shade of white.

Now with my pretty white and black quilt and my red wall I have decided to paint my bedroom furniture black. Yep black! (Am I being bold enough here?) It was used furniture when I got it and I cant afford new furniture now. So I figure painting it is a way to give the furniture a new look with out having to spend a ton of money.

Ive still got to decide which color to use for the curtains and my cornice boards over the windows. Right now Im leaning towards painting the cornice boards red to bring that color into the room more. Plus because I know that reds vary I really dont want to try to find a red fabric that matches the paint to cover the cornice with or make curtains with. Im leaning towards maybe black curtains on the outside with a shear white strip down the middle of the window. I have blinds so the curtains are there to look pretty, rather than close the room off from outside.

Im excited about the change, but also like any time we face change Im scared. What if it doesnt look good in the end!?! I know in the end Ill either have to chicken out and go with another off white color in the room. Or step up and try it and see what happens.

Does anyone else have a bold color in your bedroom? Do you like it? Wish you hadnt done it?

31 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 32

My kitchen is aqua blue, my living room is lime green (aka Honeydew by HDepot), my hallway is buttercup yellow and my dining room is lavender (ish). It was supposed to be raspberry but my realtor put a stop to that. icon_wink.gif If you stand in one spot in the living room you can see all the colors. LOVE IT! I haven't gotten to the M. Bedroom yet. My spare is Victorian lilac with cream bedding, gold, brown and sage accents. I have an old house and wanted at least one room to be vintage.

Go bold or go home I say. icon_lol.gif With one red wall; and if the windows are not on that wall, go with either a black and white cornace/valence (do they sell one that goes with the bedding?) and red curtains or what you said would be pretty too. Find the fabric first then do a color match (if you have a home depot) to get as close to it as you can with the paint.

Tinted primer, tinted primer, tinted primer - red is a b*** & will take 3-4 coats probably.

Painting the furniture black is a great way to freshen it up.

BTW, I love the bedding. Might want to bring some red into it, maybe with one pillow...

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 32

It sounds fabulous! Almost baroque. I think you should do a matching cake dummy to decorate a corner of the room icon_biggrin.gif

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 32

My sister has her bedroom a very dark maroon all 4 walls are painted... I love it!!! I would suggest that you paint all 4 walls red. I just think it looks better, that's also just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 32

They did have some curtains and a valence that goes with it, but I'm not going to buy them. I have three windows in the room, and one of them is a wide window, so I'd end up having to buy 4 sets. If I go with black and white I can find some fabric and make my own (with my mom's help) curtains. My dad actually made the my cornice boards and they mimic the shape of my headboard. They are fabric covered now, but they could easily be painted.

Since the walls that the windows are on will be white, I think it needs the black or red for the curtains. I thought abotu doing the cornice in black, but with the furniture, I was aread that'd end up being too much black in the room.

With the bedding sit, I think I am only getting the quilt, bed skirt, and the white shams. I do plan to get a red pillow for the bed at some point.

My living room is a spring green then sponged with a darker green. I love it!

I'm thinking of using yellow somewhere in the house. Maybe in the other bedroom, to replace the blue. I want something different in there as well, but am trying to keep it kinda neutral.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 32

Laughing at the cake dummy idea. Guess we can call it art huh? I was actually thinking about maybe making some kinda of art work in there. That might be interesting to do a cake and take a funky picture of it.

Nature, since I'm planning on doing the furniture black, I'm afraid red on all the walls will make the room look too small. If I have a large room I would probably do it, but my bedroom is on the smaller side.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 32

My bedroom is yellow and ivory...or butter cream, if you will icon_wink.gif. It's a softer change from my previous shades of turquoise, blue, and teal (ocean theme) in there.

I really like red with black and white but also coral would look great as would yellow. I like your thinking on the cornice and the curtains. A print that compliments your quilt and incorporates all your colors would work really well for curtains, too.

Red walls, much like red fondant, are touchy. Prime in gray and prepare yourself for 3 or 4 coats to get it to look really good. In my last house I painted a bathroom yellow with blue and red horizontal stripes. It was awesome but those red stripes about drove me to my breaking point.

Have fun!

Herekittykitty Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Since the walls that the windows are on will be white, I think it needs the black or red for the curtains. I thought abotu doing the cornice in black, but with the furniture, I was aread that'd end up being too much black in the room.

Even though the wall will be white you could do the cornice in white with black accents on the edges. It will break up the white and if you only use black as an accent it won't be too much with the furniture. With all the light from the windows and the white walls, I think you'll like it. Plus if you do the curtains red or red/black, red/white it will bring the eye down and the black will just be background. It sounds like you are planning a gorgeous room!

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:25am
post #9 of 32

Sounds fabulous thumbs_up.gif Pleas of you can post pics of the finished room

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #10 of 32

Last year I decided to do accent walls in 2 rooms, having never done this before. Love the results.

The wall behind my bed in my bedroom is a deep burnt orange. I have brown/orange/red bedding, and simple wooden blinds on the windows that fits the wide wood trim. The other walls are cream. My furniture is wood, but one chest is red!!! I like bold, but tastefully done bold icon_wink.gif

I also did a turquoise wall in my dining room. The other walls are a creamy white, I have black and white damask curtains and dark wood furniture. I LOVE the turquoise with the black and white. LOve love love.

In your case, like the idea of doing everything on the non-red walls monochromatic white-on-white. The red will really pop this way and things won't look too matchy matchy. And when you get your red pillow, get a yellow one while you are at it. It will look super fresh and funky.

BTW, I painted old furniture in my son's room black, and it looks brand new. So go for it!!

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:17am
post #11 of 32

Well I just placed the order, so I guess I really am doing this. I got the quilt, bed skirt, white shams and the square throw pillow with the white on it. Down the line I plan to find a chair to maybe paint red, so I thought I could always use the black pillow for it.

I've been thinking about the suggestion to add detail paint to the cornice boards. That may be something interesting to do, even if it is just stripes. I can see red with a black or white stripe acorss the bottom, or even maybe a curly q pattern to mimic the quilt.

I'm really leaning towards black and/or white for the curtains, just so I don't have to deal with matching reds. I was telling my mom about their curtains that have online that had a black strip down one side and across the bottom. I figured we'd make the curtains and she said we can always add a black strip down the side. So with that idea I may do a primarly white curtain, with a black stripe down the outsides, that would break up the white a little, but not put some much black in the room.

So another color thought question... What would be a neutral color that would look good for a future baby's room. I'm not pregnant, but am hoping to be in the next few years. And since I need to paint the other bedroom now I thought I'd go with a color that could go either way. Sorta thinking a soft yellow. Maybe purple?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #12 of 32

that bedding is gorgeous!!! cant wait to see pics of the room. you cant really go wrong with black and white they are neutral colors and you can pair them with anything. so dont be scared. just do what you feel is fun and invigorating.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #13 of 32

I'm having to clean out my living room and dining room this weekend for the new flooring. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to clean up my bedroom. I have alot of things that need to put in drawers or hung up. When that is done I plan on taking a trip to the paint store and getting some reds mixed up and bring them home and putting them on the wall to see what they will look like in the room, in the lighting.

I had a brief moment of painting all the walls red, but while I am going bold I'm not sure I am ready for a full red room. I really don't want one color of the three to over power the others, and I think a full red room may just do that.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:16am
post #14 of 32

Okay I keep thinking about doing all four walls red tonight. Gotta see if I am brave enough for that!

Elcee Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Okay I keep thinking about doing all four walls red tonight. Gotta see if I am brave enough for that!

Depending on the shade of red you choose, it doesn't have to be overwhelming.

Please, though, paint one wall to your satisfaction before deciding to do the whole room. Red really is the hardest color to paint with. Primer PLUS 3 or 4 coats on 4 walls is a LOT of work and a LOT of paint, so it can get pretty pricey to do that. If you wanted to bring the red around the room, you could do a horizontal stripe near the ceiling or some other design on the white walls with some of your red paint.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 32

Ohhh.. go for it, it's only paint!! Our bedroom is a dark color, matches want to call it a deep barn red maybe. I love it. My kitchen and living room area both deep colors, and the family room is a grayish blue that goes so well with the slate floor--wasn't sure I was going to get anything to go with that floor and that's not something you just decide to rip up and replace, came with the house, will stay with the house!

I love red... can't wait to see the results!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #17 of 32

What about doing a chair rail or wainscoting or something and paint the bottom half red? Then you get the color all the way around the room without it being so overpowering. My girls' room has periwinkle wainscoting on the lower part of the walls, and it's really cute.

The previous owners of our home painted a red accent wall in the master bedroom -- in this case, it was a bad choice, so I'm biased against red walls (but that doesn't mean your will be bad!). It's already a small room, and the red made it even smaller. Plus, it was just an awful shade of orangish-red.

Regarding the black furniture: Go for it! We painted our wood kitchen table and chairs black and I LOVE it (walls are a fairly dark gray-blue; cupboards are white; floor is light-colored fake wood).

I know you've already decided on red, and it's a good choice, but it got me thinking about other colors that would work well with the black and white. Some of my personal favorites are turquoise, coral, dark purple, and dark yellow.

Have fun, and please post pictures!

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:07am
post #18 of 32

Hi TexasSugar,
As an interior designer, and without seeing your space, here is what I would do: go with one red wall (is it the wall the bed will be on?) it will make more of a visual impact. (I prefer this look even if there is a window on the bed wall.) Paint the rest of the walls a creamy off white/light taupe, it will feel warmer than stark white walls with red and won't look like you locked into the colors of the bedding. Paint your cornices and furniture black and find curtains or fabric (or even sheets) that are a black and white damask print. That way you keep visual intrest around the room regardless of the wall color. You can then incorporate more red and additional colors in the wall art.

Good luck!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:38pm
post #19 of 32

OHHH That sounds really nice!!! I may have to have you give me suggestions for a room afunk!!! thumbs_up.gif Definitely post pictures when you are done!

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 32

Afunk, my only problem with making a focal wall with my bed on it is that at some point I will want to move my bed. My bed has been moved twice already, and the next move will be the third time. And because I've never had it on the wall I don't know how much I will really like it there.

I can't change up the furniture layout in any other room in the house other than the bedrooms, so when I need something different my bedroom is the room that gets rearranged. And I'm not repainting again soon, so I really don't want to lock myself into one way to arrange the bedroom. Also the wall I orginally thought to paint red, isn't the first wall you see when you walk in the room. So for it to make an impact you'd have to walk in the room, and turn.

When I orginally moved in the house since I was renting I kept the colors toned down. The color in my bedroom, divine white, is also in the hallway, kitchen and cake room. Basicly went very 'safe' with the color since it was cheaper to buy the bigger thing of paint and do more rooms. I didn't change one of the bedrooms, which was a blue gray, though it will be painted this go around. The only two rooms I put color in were the bathroom and the living room. The bathroom is a soft green color and the living room is a spring green with a darker green sponged on. My living room, sadly is the only room that actually has color personality. I want the rest of the house to match it. Part of the kitchen and the dining room have paneling, so there isn't much change in there unless I paint the paneling.

I've asked my landlord (which is also my boss and my dad) if he had any problems with me painting red in the bedroom. He pretty much told me he didn't care what I did, and that I was the one that has to live there. Which I am taking to heart. I picked the divine white before because it was a safe color that no one could find fault with.

I don't want safe any more. I want color in the house. And since I am the only one that lives there, I have to tell myself that it matters first what I want, not what others want. I've done what others wanted way to long.

While I was afraid to go all red before, hense the idea to start with just one wall. I know that was me wanting color but still playing it safe. The more I have thought about it I think the room and and more importantly *I* could handle it.

I'm still debating what color to use in the other bedroom. I'm thinking of finding some bright, yellow/orange material to go in my kitchen for curtains. And I need to look for something to go in my dining room. I lean toward blue/yellow in there. My living room also has yellow/orange accents, so I'm really gonna have to open up and and play with more colors so that half my house isn't based on yellows either. If I can make it to the paint store today then I'm going to pick up a color swatch thing. We had snow and sleet yesterday and a little snow this morning, so I'm not sure if I want to get out and about.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I enjoy seeing how everyone has different tastes. It is a reminder that you can't please everyone, so you should just worry about pleasing yourself.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:48pm
post #21 of 32

Okay so this morning it was suggested that I paint the paneling in the dining room. Looks like I just might have a house full of color before it is over with!

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #22 of 32

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1551265951001&set=a.1275975348908.2036506.1515707372#!/photo.php?fbid=1551265951001&set=a.1275975348908.2036506.1515707372

The room isn't finished yet, and I still need to paint the trim, but here is a picture of the red walls. I can't wait until next week when we can start on painting the furniture in there.

I'm also planning some yellow/orange art work to go on the full wall, rather than my bed. I just have to figure out what design I want. Thinking about painting across three canvases, then hanging them with space inbetween.

Elcee Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:30pm
post #23 of 32

Looks great! You did a really nice job on the painting.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 32

Thank you! icon_smile.gif It isn't perfect, but it'll work for me, especially when the furniture gets put in, and I get stuff up on the walls.

Herekittykitty Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:48pm
post #25 of 32

Awww. I'm not on facebook so can't see. Bummer. I bet it looks great though.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:56pm
post #26 of 32

I just tired to post it in the thread, but it won't let me. icon_sad.gif

My facebook is open to the public, so I don't think you have to be a member to see it.

Karen421 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm
post #27 of 32

I think it looks great Tracy!!! Good job! icon_biggrin.gif

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:40am
post #28 of 32

I love your new bedding, I keep thinking Cakecraft's avatar goes great with it! I found my red bedroom to be so restful. It will be a few years before we paint (if we paint) in our new house. It is different for us for now to have no color on the walls. We had painted bold colors in our condo and loved it but no color, for now, is refreshing!

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm
post #29 of 32

Thank you Karen!

Kaseynh, sounds like we are opposites. My house has been void of alot of color the last few years, so I'm excited about having more color in it. I got the bedding in, but haven't opened it up to really see it. Figured with everything going on in the house it was safer to leave it in plastic.

Everyone keeps telling me that the room is bright, but I think that is better than the red making it appear dark. Plus when I get the furniture and curtains in there, I think it will all be toned down. And even if it isn't, I like the color, so that's all that matters right?

Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:37pm
post #30 of 32

That's absolutely right! thumbs_up.gif You are the one living there, and you have to go with what you like! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%